Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 7 January 2012 5.11pm
Can anyone advise me on the equipment required. I understand Skype have adaptors so you can use your own phone but it seems these don't allow caller display and seem to come with call packages that I don't need. Any tech people out there who might advise me?

Saturday 7 January 2012 7.19pm
Do you have broadband?

Most people I know use Skype through their computer and/or smartphone. You can equally buy an IP phone which ou can connect through your modem. Generally Skype calls to home phone numbers throw up a bizarre phone number likely related to where it's routed through. Skype to Skype calls will involve full ID ofhe calling member.
Saturday 7 January 2012 11.14pm
Watch out - Skype on a smartphone is power hungry, because the processing and encoding is done on the handset. There is a rival technology called "Fring" - which sends your phone/video call to the Fring servers for encoding - so your battery will last longer.

Also, Skype's VOIP encoding on a smartphone uses propriety encoding - Fring does not.

If you have a spartphone then download Fring and give it a try - it's free - and you already have all the equipment you need!
Monday 9 January 2012 8.49am
BSB, I will have to contact you when I get into London on 1stFeb and get your one to one instruction on this...
Monday 9 January 2012 9.30am
Thanks everyone for your help.
I think I'll skip the land-line adaptor and get a TeckNet web-cam.

Very many thanks
Best wishes
Monday 13 February 2012 11.57am

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: