NHS

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 2 April 2012 3.04pm
Is there any hope for the NHS?
Is there anything left to save?
After paying in to the system for fifty years, I find it frustrating when I can't get a doctor's appointment.
When, after an interminable wait on an 0844 number, you finally get connected to my local surgery, you're told there are no more appointments left on that day, unless it's a medical emergency. If you ask for an appointment for the following day you're told you cannot book in advance. I spent two hours waiting at my surgery this morning as an emergency patient and after two hours I walked out without seeing a doctor. I informed the receptionist that I would go home and take some pain killers and if my condition got worse I would go to A&E.
"That's your decision,'" she replied, having been fully trained in how to cover her and her employer's backside. Once home I rang NHS direct and got a recorded message saying they were very busy and dealing with medical emergences only. Now where had I heard that before? I've now been home two hours and the pain killers have kicked in, but the surgery hasn't phoned to see if I'm dead or alive.
I'm more alive than our wonderful health service. I think that's dead in the water..
Monday 2 April 2012 8.56pm
That's terrible Chalkey,

at least if I need emergency appointment I have to phone after 8am. and at least I can get an appointment.

All I know when ever I go the surgery is never full and believe it or not as I have said before I had heard receptionist tell a caller on the phone there was no appointments that day as the were 'too busy' the flipping surgery was virtually empty!

Before my husband died I phoned his useless g.p.(not the same as mine) and asked him to call and see him as I was worried about him, the receptionist would not put me through to g.p. I insisted and she obviously was under orders not to. I said I was going to call an ambulance, she went off line, then came back and said he would call two days later...I said that would not be an option and that I would have great pleasure in telling head of A & E after I called ambulance that my husbands g.p. was refusing to call on him. He called later that day with a district nurse in tow because I think I may have decked him!

He stood four feet from my husband, told him to put his thumb on the tip of his nose and diagnosed another mini stroke. After the useless slob went I called an ambulance!

I think he must have received loads of complaints because he I think is no longer there..

and as for expensive 0844 number which is more expensive I think than local numbers shame on them..

Hope you get sorted soon...:-)
Tuesday 3 April 2012 9.13pm
chalkey wrote:
When, after an interminable wait on an 0844 number, you finally get connected to my local surgery, you're told there are no more appointments left on that day <snip>

Sorry to hear that mate. About the 0844 number, did you try a look up on the website here, to find a cheaper alternative?
Wednesday 4 April 2012 7.28am
Thanks, BSB.
Yup, I've tried that, but no joy.

Jan, thanks for your good wishes and sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been in a bit of gip the last few days and, having finally managed to get an appointment, I've been diagnosed with gallstones. They feel more like bloody kerbstones!!!
I could write an essay on what's happened between me and the surgery since my earlier, vitriolic posting, (which did me no credit, but I felt very let down,)but at least it's sorted now.
Sage advice...............Don't get ill.
Wednesday 4 April 2012 11.54am
I was talking to a nurse the other day, she said that the biggest threat to the NHS at the moment is Holby City.

... actually she might have said obesity - I couldn't tell as she was stuffing her face with a slice of cake at the time.

- truthfully though, at our GP we have to ring after 8pm to book an appointment for that day. However we have an online booking system which I have a username and password for (but have never used), I don't know if you can book in advance with that or not, I guess you can. Our GP is rather large, and so I've never had a problem getting an appointment (but then again, I don't live in SE1 (anymore)).
Wednesday 4 April 2012 12.38pm
Ouch Chalkey, gallstones....described once by a doctor to my elderly Mum who was suffering from them, as 'like being stabbed with a spear!' Mum said somtheting like....your not effing kidding!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network