How to comment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 12 April 2012 12.26am
Chronicle of Higher Education:

Quote:
Because commenting is often anonymous or pseudonymous, practitioners can be freed from many social rules as well as many of their own inhibitions. We all know the results. Boorishness. Bombast. Preening.
Quote:
Even if you donít intend to use your name, write your comment as if you were. Ask yourself if you would be embarrassed to see your name attached to what you are about to post.
Quote:
Remember the sensitivity police are a thousand miles away, chasing people who donít use gender-inclusive pronouns. Out here you are on your own. Donít imagine you can score any points by declaring that you are shocked or offended.

You know who you are:
Thursday 12 April 2012 12.00pm
Er...ok. That's fine by me.
Thursday 12 April 2012 7.20pm
and 'e smokes capstan full strength!
Thursday 12 April 2012 8.38pm
Hands up, you got me.
I thought that the false 'tache and moody bins would have put you all off, but I'm busted.
Thursday 12 April 2012 8.51pm
It looks like a nerdy bird with butch arms and a fake moustache, but that might be the typical pseudonymous SE1 poster I suppose.

Here she is servicing Mr Hatts's server cluster:
Sunday 15 April 2012 6.41am
Hey that's my breakfast you're putting me off.!
Monday 16 April 2012 12.28pm
There are several harmless reasons why people choose not to use their real names on internet forums.

Unless you know the person, and their name, in real life, there's absolutely no guarantee that somone who posts as "johnsmith100" is actually called John Smith.

Why do you continue to flog this horse?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 16 April 2012 12.51pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
There are several harmless reasons why people choose not to use their real names on internet forums.
Unless you know the person, and their name, in real life, there's absolutely no guarantee that somone who posts as "johnsmith100" is actually called John Smith.

Why do you continue to flog this horse?

1. Read the post.
2. Attacking someone from behind a mask is cowardly.
3. If you insist on anonymity, write as tho in your own name.
4. That's not you is it?
Monday 16 April 2012 1.41pm
Is there a particular problem with people "attacking from behind a mask"? Can't say I'd noticed it.

One of the rudest people I come across on here is someone who uses a "real" name. Some people are happy to be rude, and for the world to know it, apparently.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 17 April 2012 9.29am
Probably talking about ME Ivanhoe...there I am with my real name for all to see and excoriate! I was a total novice to this sort of thing when I joined the Forum, I often think about the names I could have had...

However, a certain amount of anonymity is a good thing, and James is draconian enough to come down hard on anyone being abusive or out of order, so dont know what the fuss is about.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network