BBC3

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 26 April 2012 9.46am
On BBC3 this morning at around 8.45 they used the word "dreak". Can anyone tell me what it realy means?
Thursday 26 April 2012 10.04am
Dreak or dreck? Dreck is rubbish; dreak is, um, something completely different.
Thursday 26 April 2012 10.19am
Dreak? No idea.
Dreck?, Jackie Rokonitz might help you there.
Thursday 26 April 2012 10.34am
'Dreck' would be a German word and means: filth, dirt, mud
'Dreak', is it possible it would be spelt 'drake'? In that case it should be another word for dragon or dragonboat (I got this from the German translation though).
Thursday 26 April 2012 11.10am
Dreich - is Scots dialect for grey, wet, miserable weather. I suspect this might be the word you heard.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 26 April 2012 1.01pm
You possibly mean Radio 3 ? as I don't think BBC 3 is transmitting at that time.
Thursday 26 April 2012 1.09pm
Quite right, Nigel - my apologies.
Friday 27 April 2012 2.07pm
I know perfectly well what "dreak" means, but if I explain it here the moderator will delete my post. Google would provide an answer much more immediately than posting here, so I leave it to Michael Place to decide if he wants to look the word up on Urban Dictionary.

I can't help suspecting, though, that the word used on Radio 3 was "dreck". In which case my original answer stands. "Dreck" means "rubbish" or "trash"; it comes from the Yiddish and may ultimately derive from the Latin "stercus", meaning "excrement".
Monday 30 April 2012 10.12am
I think my vote goes to Ivanhoe, Ive heard it used to describe miserable, wet, grey weather.
Tuesday 1 May 2012 11.52am
Ivanhoe is correct - the BBC have replied to my query as follows:
"I note you were concerned to hear several times what you felt was the word ‘dreak’ on the 26 April programme.
During ‘Your Call’, Scottish listener Victor used the word ‘dreach’, which is a term used to describe gloomy, cloudy and wet weather, which most of the UK was experiencing that day. Sara does ask him to explain the meaning of the word, which he does so as ‘damp, dull and not particularly nice’.
I hope this allays your concerns, which I’d nevertheless assure you have been registered on our audience log, which is a daily report of audience feedback that’s circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers."
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: