THE TIMES

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 3 July 2012 1.32pm
Can you believe THE TIMES?

Last week on Friday June 29th The Times said in a leader that "the new RAF Bomber Command Memorial was unveiled by the Queen in Hyde Park".

Elsewhere in the same issue it mentioned "the memorial site at Green Park". (Green Park is a tube station).

In fact the new RAF Bomber Command Memorial is in The Green Park. Fortunately the Queen knew this.

So you definitely cannot believe THE TIMES.

Any other examples to share?
Tuesday 3 July 2012 1.41pm
What on Earth were you reading the Times for?

The memorial's great. The figures 'accessories' are made as seperate pieces and attached so there's much more detail than you could get with the usual casting.
Tuesday 3 July 2012 2.15pm
Were the flags the right way round?
Tuesday 3 July 2012 3.48pm
They were, and even better City Hall now has three amazingly clean and bright flags flying from its flagpoles!!!
Tuesday 3 July 2012 9.22pm
Its a shame City Hall itself is not clean and bright. The aluminium frames around the windows are filthy. The maintenance people clean the glass but thats it!
Hope the Mayor does something about it before the Olympics.
Wednesday 4 July 2012 12.18pm
Michael Place wrote:
Can you believe THE TIMES?
Last week on Friday June 29th The Times said in a leader that "the new RAF Bomber Command Memorial was unveiled by the Queen in Hyde Park".

Elsewhere in the same issue it mentioned "the memorial site at Green Park". (Green Park is a tube station).

In fact the new RAF Bomber Command Memorial is in The Green Park. Fortunately the Queen knew this.

So you definitely cannot believe THE TIMES.

Any other examples to share?

Unsure of your point here Michael, Green Park is indeed a tube station, but the memorial IS is in Green Park, which is bounded by Queens Walk, Piccadilly, and Constitution Hill.
I'm not trying to be pedantic, but to most Londoners Green Park is the park first, the station second I think.
Wednesday 4 July 2012 2.55pm
I think Michael's point was about the word 'the' being missing.
Thursday 5 July 2012 11.01am
according to 'The Royal Parks' website http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/green-park/ there is no article 'the' infront of it.

I rarely believe newspapers - especially Times.

[edit to add] - I've read this section of The Royal Parks website, and actually there seems to be a lack of continuity - sometimes it's written as 'The Green Park', and sometimes just as 'Green Park', there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to if the definite article 'The' should be there or not!
Thursday 5 July 2012 3.20pm
Regent's Park is "officially" The Regent's Park, but I'd expect to get a funny look if I called it that. The same applies to Green Park.
Friday 6 July 2012 9.51am
Here is the reply to my enquiry to the Ordnance Survey:

"Just for reference here are all the Royal Parks in London:
St Jamesís Park
The Green Park
Hyde Park
Kensington Gardens
Richmond Park
Greenwich Park
The Regentís Park
Bushy Park"
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: