Word association.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 5 July 2012 1.01pm
The mentioning of Green park on another thread prompted an old memory.
When I was quite young, maybe three or four years old, (definitely pre school,) I remember holding my dad's hand as we walked through one of the London parks. (I can't remember which one.) It must have been early spring because there were daffodils in bloom. It was a breezy day and I was fascinated by the patterns the wind was making on the surface of what was either a small lake or large pond. I remember asking, "What's that," and pointing in the general direction. My dad, thinking I was referring to the buildings in the distance replied, "Bayswater." For a few years after that I thought that wavy, choppy water was called, 'bays' water.'
I wondered if anyone else has childhood memories of anything similar.
Friday 6 July 2012 12.03am
Not really the same thing Chalkey, but I remember as a kid my Dad telling me that Father Christmas lived at Wapping Old Stairs, "by the river at Wapping High Street."
I believed that up till around 1998 when one of my sons told me that there was no such person as Father Christmas, what a bummer.
On word association, I was at a set of lights 15 or 20 years back at the Aldgate one way system.
A car stopped next to my cab, sounded the horn, and a woman in the passenger seat shouted "Mile End?"
I replied, "Stepney Green!"
She looked at me puzzled and said, "What?"
I said, "Oh sorry, I thought that this was some kind of word association game."
Friday 6 July 2012 9.45am
Ha-Ha, Tom. You should have shouted, "Mornington Crescent!"
Saturday 7 July 2012 6.32pm
A good few years back there was a documentary on TV about London pubs. The young 'wet-behind-the-ears' lady reporter asked the streetwise, east-end landlord why he thought his ales were better than others in the area.

"Coz it's made with water from Bow Locks," he replied.

His customers fell about laughing, but the straight faced reporter simply didn't get it.

Blimey, I've strayed off my own thread. Now that IS a first!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: