Advice required - mobile phone contract

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 July 2012 6.11pm
so here's that story: I used to have an Orange mobile phone on contract (everyday 50), it was great, but circumstances changed, and I went onto PAYG. Now I spend about 20 a month on top ups. I saw an advert for the San Diego phone, exclusively on Orange, with Intell processor, on contract for 15.50 a month. Bargain I thought, so I applied online. I got an email asking me to ring to provide further information, which I did, and was told that the application couldn't be processed and would be checked by another department, and either I got cut off, or they said they'd ring back in ten minutes but didn't.
So I rang back a day later, and was told that I'd been rejected credit, but they couldn't tell me why, and that I should obtain my credit reports, credit score from Experian and Equifax. I did this, and they all appear (in my opinion) to be fine, and I can't see anything that would stop me from being given credit. I sent these off to Orange, so that they could manually reprocess the application, but it was declined again, and the email in reply basically said that due to data protection they couldn't tell me why my application had failed, but if I wanted I could get my credit reports from Experian or Equifax, or contact CIFAS to see if there was any fraud currently in my name - which I did, and there isn't. I sent all four forms back, asking them to re-check my application, and it's been returned again, declined. They say that they can't tell me what processes they use to check the application, and they can't tell my why my application was rejected, and again advice me to get my credit reports and look for anything that might affect my rating.
I'm absolutely furious! I've spent 15 getting reports, that show that i've paid bills ontime, that I have a mortgage, and credit cards, which I pay regularly, that my credit score is 495 (within the top bracket), and that there is no instance of fraudulent activity in my name at the addresses that I gave, and yet they won't give me a contract for a mobile phone! and they won't tell me why!

does anyone have advice on what I can do? Who I can complain to? How I can find out what the problem is?

Thanks
Friday 27 July 2012 12.14pm
Jon mate - Eperian have some help to resolve a dispute. See here.
Tuesday 7 August 2012 11.20pm
I've had a similar situation a few years back and phoned Experian who were very helpful. Then phoned the mobile co back and they indicated that it would be easiest to cancel the original application and asked me to go to the shop again. All sorted pretty swiftly. Different company though..
Wednesday 8 August 2012 6.10pm
Thanks Boss and Tattie - I've amended what I can on my reports, and have been advised by Orange to actually go into a shop to sort this out, as previously only done online, or by phone.

I shall try to arrange some time to do this soon.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: