Anyone remember?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 29 August 2012 5.57pm
Can anyone help with a vague memory I have of a row of ramshackle shops that were no more than glorified sheds in East Street?
I moved to the Old Kent Road end of East Street in 1957. Entering East Street from the Old Kent Road about two hundred yards down was, (and I believe still is,) a block of flats called, 'Innis House.' Just in front of this was the row of old shops I refer to. One was a sweet shop run by an elderly couple and I think the bloke's name was, 'John.' They were demolished, (the shops, not the old couple,) soon after I arrived, probably to save them from falling down. Can anyone else recall this.

Jan, this may have been your neck of the woods around that time. The shops were about a hundred yards before Georgie Gibbon's, (who we both remember,) on the other side of the road.
Tuesday 30 October 2012 9.20pm
I remember the place nothing more than stalls really selling bricabrac mainly old watch and clock parts together with tools spanners and stuff my head was only 4 foot from the ground then but thats my recollection.As i remember the area was sectioned off with corrogated tin sheet is that right.East lane was a great place on a saturday morning for a snotty kid in the 50s.
Wednesday 31 October 2012 9.08am
Hi Kevin,
Sounds like we're talking about the same place. Since reading your post I've been trying to gather a little more info to more accurately pinpoint where I'm talking about. As I mentioned, it was on the left hand side coming from Old Kent Road, just before the crossroads of what I can now remember was Alvey St and Elstead St. Simpson's the undertakers were on the opposite corner, (East St/Elstead St.)
Just over the crossroads was Armatrudo's greengrocer's on the left and opposite that, among a row of other shops, was George Gibbon's newsagents, (as mentioned in my earlier post.)Your description certainly points to it being the same place, but perhaps the extra info will ascertain that. The only shop I can remember clearly from that little row was the sweetshop, but for a ten-year old boy that's not surprising. Clock parts and spanners wouldn't have interested me. What I would like to find out was how long they'd been there and what year they were finally demolished.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: