Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 6 September 2012 8.17pm
"It takes a huge amount of courage to be a burglar."

So said judge, Peter Bowers, as he let a burglar walk free.

I couldn't argue with that statement. I certainly wouldn't have the b***s to burgle someone's house.

May I respectfully suggest to his honour that instead of sending such offenders to prison, which is obviously not his wont, he sends them to Afghanistan, where they could put their God-given courage to better use.....Helping REAL heroes!

His honour might also then keep his job.
Tuesday 9 October 2012 11.40am
At long last we now have a Government that will support individuals who use reasonable force against intruders, rather than being preoccupied with the well-being of those intruders when they are given a right hander by someone protecting their home and its contents. Not to mention their family.
We're still along way off from having a 'Common Sense Party,' (which would get my vote every time,) but at last this is a step in the right direction.
Common sense has to work both ways though, and I hope the pendulum doesn't swing too far in the other direction.
If a crowd of high spirited youths think it's a hoot to nick a garden gnome from someone's doorstep, I'd hate to think the owner would run outside and go at them with a carving knife.
'Deterrent' is a word I've perhaps overused on various threads concerning crime and punishment. But it is a subject I'm passionate about. Let's hope this latest amendment to the law acts as a deterrent to any would-be burglars.
Thursday 11 October 2012 6.12am
Um..yes...well...I bet Id be in bed without my glasses on when a burglar came, and I'd stand there in my nightie looking helpless. Carving knives, guns, and other suitable implements would be far away...It's a nice idea that one should have the right of redress but somehow I'm not sure how feasable it is.
Thursday 11 October 2012 11.05am
I think if i was stood there in my nightie and someone broke in a judge might decide that i had used excessive force by sujecting the poor burgular to such a sight!!
Thursday 11 October 2012 12.11pm
Please, ladies. All this talk about nighties isn't good for my blood pressure.

I cam home around midnight the other night after having a few pints and as I crept in to bed next to the wife she said, "You should have been here an hour ago, we had a burglar."
I said, "Blimey! Did he get anything?"
She said, "Yes, I thought it was you!"
Thursday 11 October 2012 5.38pm
Off subject I know, but that reminds me of the day my brother turned up at school at 10.00 a.m.
The teacher said, "You should have been here an hour ago,
He replied, "Why, what happened?"

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: