Apprentice rates...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 28 October 2012 12.34pm
A young Lad in Derby who is 21 has agreed to accept an 'apprenticeship' at a catering's fulltime work for the magnificent rate of 80. a week...after a year he will go on minimum working pay...thieving it because its not London? and the lad went in a smart suit and tie..:-[
Monday 29 October 2012 8.52am
I don't believe for a moment that the diabolical liberty that's being taken with the young man is because it is outside London. It's what employers do and have done for hundreds of years, abuse the workers, and they are now being helped even more by this government which is the most retrograde and right wing that I can remember.
There seems to be an atmosphere about that would welcome the return of upstairs-downstairs mentality and would like "them" to know their place and be grateful for the opportunity to work in service and to accept low pay whether it is as an apprentice or servant.
As one of "them" who resents those in well paid jobs telling those less fortunate that they should take any work that is availabe regardless of pay and conditions when they would not, themselves, do what they preach. I ask that they support those less fortunate in any way they can
Monday 29 October 2012 9.02am
Hi Jan,

I think that if his apprenticeship is part of the formal Apprenticeship programme, then there is a nationally fixed rate of pay for apprentices. It is pretty low, to offset the employer's costs in training someone up.

The official (government) site is here:

You might be able to put your mind at rest/confirm your worst fears from a read of the info here.

Hope this helps.
Thursday 1 November 2012 11.46am
Thank you both of you, I just wonder if at the end of the year they dismiss him for some petty reason so they can start again...must be getting very suspicious in me old age....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: