they dont make things...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 3 November 2012 5.50pm
like they used to..having a new kitchen installed after being a tenant for many moons, highly delighted I must say...trouble was my old fridge freezer was not, finally went bang after a mouldy 33 years! it also blew the sockets in the kitchen and when electrician called and replaced the fuse in socket it went again..

Crikey he said this is old, well how old are you I asked...he said 34...i told him he was only 1 when I purchased it! I had never needed to change the fuse, lights, anything..it sat quietly doing a wonderful job, it was recommended in the Which magazine and after I received a massive tax rate splashed out!

so rest in peace my old friend...tr1241 electrolux. wonder if any newer electrolux will last as long!
Saturday 3 November 2012 9.30pm
Jan,
I enjoyed reading that.
I doubt if any of the newer generation of appliances will last anywhere near as long. It's not in the manufacturer's interests. The mentality has changed over the years. Once upon a time it used to be every manufacturer/inventors ambition to reveal the wonder gadget that will last forever. Now it's all about mass production. Out with the old, in with the new, ASAP.
Reading your post did take my mind back to 1957, when we moved in to our prefab. It was the first time in my life I'd lived in a house that had electricity........But the prefab had a gas fridge! I kid you not.
Sunday 4 November 2012 1.07pm
Chalkey,I remember the first time I saw a fridge that was in 1959 and my Aunt had purchased an Iced Diamond...think that was Electrolux too....when my Auntie died in 1989 and I had to clear the flat as much as possible, a neighbour had the old fridge still working!

And when my friend told me she had a gas fridge I thought she was playing a joke on me..it was one of the ones they banned from being made as you had to push the button to release the door and when irresponsible people dumped them on bombsites,waste ground children would climb in and close the door and poor things would suffocate..:-( they would be unable to get out..
Sunday 4 November 2012 1.10pm
Just remembered Chalkey, my daughter was 3 when I purchased it with my tax rebate, she's now 37...so it was 34 years old....I think I sent electrolux an e-mail about 5 years ago praising it, never heard a thing!
Sunday 4 November 2012 10.25pm
Blimey, Jan...
The old, 'Ice Diamond.' Yes, I'm sure they were 'Eletrolux.' I can remember them being advertised on TV, along with other new products of the time such as, 'Fairy Snow' washing powder and 'Lucky Numbers' and 'White Heather' chocolates and 'Delucia' sherry.
(Do you remember, 'Prudence Potts, the pan inspector?)
Can't remember the cleaning product she advertised though. Probably 'Vim,' or 'Ajax.'
Monday 5 November 2012 9.01am
we never had a television until 1961 and I had been working for 2 years Chalkey! None of us felt deprived,our entertainment was the library and bunking in the trocette! if the big bloke with the baseball bat was not around you could work wonders with a piece of wire lifting up the bar behind the exit at the side! The only ads. we saw was at the 'pictures'...
Monday 5 November 2012 9.08am
I remember climbing over the wall at Millwall's old ground, 'The Den.' I got caught by a copper who told me exactly what he thought of me. "Your team's fighting for survival," he shouted, "and here's you climbing over the wall......Get back in there and suffer with the rest of 'em!"
Monday 5 November 2012 10.12pm
chalkey wrote:
I remember climbing over the wall at Millwall's old ground, 'The Den.' I got caught by a copper who told me exactly what he thought of me. "Your team's fighting for survival," he shouted, "and here's you climbing over the wall......Get back in there and suffer with the rest of 'em!"

So you were trying to escape Chalkey, not bunking in?
Tuesday 6 November 2012 8.52am
Yup.
But it's a very old joke, Tom, and it's been applied to various clubs over the years. I last heard it from Bernard Manning, about twenty years ago, when he was bemoaning the state of his beloved Manchester City. He added that they were building a new stand at their old, 'Main Road' ground. The problem was it was facing the pitch! He would have loved to see them where they are now.
Tuesday 6 November 2012 8.56am
Old freezer was heaved onto the little area outside of the house about 9am...had arranged collection for thursday. At 11am there was a knock and a small foreign gentleman with a trolley and no command of english said..'me take' I said I though you was coming thursday? he looked puzzled, I told him to take it anyway as he obviously wanted it for scrap, he pulled it onto the trolley and nearly fell backwards with the weight of it and gasped, I thought I would have to perform cpr. as he went purple with the strain, he recovered pulled it onto the street and my dear old freezer disappeared around the corner into n.k.road!
Had it been a modern freezer he could have carried it with one hand..the carcase was steel and enamelled..double compressor etc.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: