modern life...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 7 November 2012 11.14am
Going on line to look for a cooker for my daughter. I went on the Zanussi customer care line, after almost 9 minutes, push this.push that, got through to a guy and said that all the gookers displayed never had handles on the grill pans, he snootily replied that none of the pans had handles, I asked how on e would take the pan out from under the grill, his response was a curt, well we tell people to use oven gloves, yeah with a flame 8" from the top, I expressed disbelief, and he almost yawned...I am now searching for a cooker with a low level grill with a handle! even one that can be removed, is it me or are some manufacturers not taking heed of things nowdays?
Saturday 10 November 2012 1.24pm
Hi Jan

I've got a Zanussi cooker and the grill has detachable handles - most do these days. Have a look on the Boots website, they do appliances believe it or not and you can collect Clubcard points too! Another option is to look at John Lewis, their customer service is always helpful and they have a price match guarantee - or even if you just find the model you want through them you can search for it cheaper on line.
Sounds like you got an uninterested chap at Zanussi - their loss!!
Monday 12 November 2012 9.30pm
Hi LelB, I am searching the site right now! I think these large companies should use over the phone secret shoppers and any morons like the one I encountered sent on a training course! Just out of curiosity is your Zanussi electric or gas? My daughter has had a Cannon Cooker for 12 years, it's gone wrong and she has been told it's obselete...the park that is malfunctioning is the timer/oven setting electric thingy! 80. for the part and 80 for the old Cannon was 38 years old before it gave up the ghost, I now have an cooker that if you tap it sounds like a biscuit tin ( showing me age there when you bought biscuits out of a time by the pound!) lol
Thursday 15 November 2012 1.07pm
when cookers had eye level grills, the heat went up and away from the user. and a handle was ok to be left on the grill pan. nowadays with the grill usually above the main oven, and underneath the hobs, it's likely that there will be nobs on the front of the device, and so if you leave the grill door open, the knobs heat up too much, so the advice is to keep the oven/grill door closed (for electric that is - not sure about gas grill), and with a door closed, there's not room for a handle, so grill pan handles are detacheable.
Monday 19 November 2012 8.31am
JonR, I really like my old fashioned cooker with the eye level grill, one of my daughters has low grill which she has to have a shield on so heat does not affect the knobs!
Tuesday 27 November 2012 6.05pm
my dad used to work for Pakinson Cowan (I think it was them anyway), and he had a job testing cookers, grills and ovens. He used to make sure that the grill could toast bread in under 4 minutes, and he used to bake victoria sponge cakes in the ovens.
Saturday 1 December 2012 9.24am
Good old cookers there were parkinson cowan, Mum had one red and cream.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: