Travel advice.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 20 November 2012 8.19am
I need to get to Lordship Lane tomorrow. The first part of the journey is easy; a train to Fenchurch Street. From there I'm a bit rusty. I've not been to Dulwich since I was kid and the buses that ran then probably don't run now. Can anyone offer advice as to the quickest and easiest route?
Many thanks.
Tuesday 20 November 2012 9.20am
Chalkey, as someone who hasn't been on a bus since the old King died my guess would be to take a 78 from Aldgate to Peckham Rye, then there are probably a multitude of buses that go to Goose Green from there.
Naturally this all depends on the 78 being still in existence.
Alternatively take a crack at the TFL journey planner site.
Tuesday 20 November 2012 10.10am
Cheers, Tom. Like you, I haven't had a bus ride for yonks.
The TFL site was a good suggestion. It says I can get a number 40 bus from Rood Lane, just around the corner from Fenchurch Street, and it goes all the way to Lordship Lane. It takes 57 minutes according to the timetable, but it will give me the opportunity to see some of my old stomping grounds on the way.
Tuesday 20 November 2012 2.58pm
You're welcome Chalkey, but I doubt that you'll get a 40 from Rood Lane, it's only 10 feet wide.
Maybe at the corner of Rood and Fenchurch, or Rood and Eastcheap, probably Fenchurch.
Tuesday 20 November 2012 3.17pm
Any bus doing that journey is horrible. Walworth Road on a bus- yuck.
If it were me I'd walk from Fenchurch St. to Lonson Bridge and get the train to East Dulwich (12 mins). Even if you wanted the far end of Lordship Lane I bet you'd be there quicker than the bus.
Tuesday 20 November 2012 3.32pm
Thanks, Beetroot.
I did look in to the train option, but the weather forecast is rain, rain, rain. So I wouldn't fancy the walk from Fenchurch Street, down Eastcheap and then the awful, exposed walk over London Bridge to the station. The place I'm going to is 1.6 miles from East Dulwich Station, so that would mean a taxi both ways, because I don't know my way around there and I can't be late....It's a funeral. The number 40 bus stops right outside the church.

Tom, I think I know the bus stop I'll need. It's the one opposite the pub called: 'Hanged, Drawn and Quartered,' on Eastcheap. So, as you say, it's the corner of Rood Lane and Eastcheap. Although TFL describe it as Rood Lane. I've walked past it a few times on my way to the Southbank.
(It would indeed be a tight squeeze getting a bus down Rood Lane.) LOL.
Wednesday 21 November 2012 8.11am
Whoops!
I discovered last night through a chance conversation that the number 40 stops at the Fenchurch Street end of Rood Lane, not the Eastcheap end. That could have been a long, cold, wet wait.
Tom, you were right then, when you said, 'probably Fenchurch.'
Wednesday 21 November 2012 12.32pm
You may consider taking the bus 42 from the Crosswall stop at the back of fenchurch st station to Camberwell and change there for the 40. The 42 is a lot quicker than the 40 to reach Camberwell, especially in heavy traffic, avoiding BHS and the Elephant.
Hope you find that helpful
Wednesday 21 November 2012 2.02pm
chalkey wrote:

Tom, I think I know the bus stop I'll need. It's the one opposite the pub called: 'Hanged, Drawn and Quartered,' on Eastcheap. So, as you say, it's the corner of Rood Lane and Eastcheap. Although TFL describe it as Rood Lane. I've walked past it a few times on my way to the Southbank.
(It would indeed be a tight squeeze getting a bus down Rood Lane.) LOL.

Chalkey, you're close enough with Eastcheap, but the Hanged, Drawn, and Quartered pub is actually on Gt. Tower St.
As a transplanted O.K.R. boy now a resident of Essex you still get the cigar though!
Pardon the pedantry of an old, (real), taxi driver!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: