All the twelves!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 12 December 2012 7.16pm
Someone mentioned to me earlier that soon after midnight this morning it would have been 12 minutes past 12 on the 12th of the 12th, 12.

Wish I'd been able to see it, but I was too busy snoring.
Thursday 20 December 2012 11.52am
Here we are again.
This evening, (using the 24-hour clock,) we will see: 20.12 on the 20th of the 12th, 12.

Number always amuse me. I still don't know the answer to the following old mathematical conundrum. There must be someone out there who knows how this works.

Three old ladies club together to buy a second-hand TV.
When they get to the shop they find the only one they can afford is an old black and white one for thirty quid. So they put in 10 each and ask the bloke to deliver it.
After they leave the shop he feels sorry for them and says to his van driver, "Tell the old ladies I've made a mistake and the TV should only have been 25, and give them back five pounds."
The driver sees the opportunity to make himself a couple of quid and so only gives the ladies 3, keeping 2 for himself.
Here's the thing.... The ladies have therefore only contributed 9 each instead of 10.
3 x 9 = 27. The driver has got 2 in his pocket, making 29. Where's the other 1 gone?
Thursday 20 December 2012 2.53pm
I'd heard this one before, except it was about a restaurant bill that came to $100.00 and the waiter pocketed part of the change. It was the same deal at the end though, where was the remaining $1.00?
As I recall it goes like this, the TV was originally 30, but the proprietor changed his mind on the price. So he got the 25 that he was happy with, the crooked driver got 2, the three old ladies got back 1 each. Total 30, simples.
Thursday 20 December 2012 3.15pm
Yup. I know the pound hasn't really disappeared, but it is a clever use of figures whoever thought it up.
There must be a few more like that one knocking around and if anyone knows of them it would be interesting.
Monday 24 December 2012 1.00pm
My newest great grand-daughter was born on the 20/12/12...so 20 12 2012....numerologists please tell me what her lucky number is..:-)
Monday 24 December 2012 5.16pm
chalkey wrote:
Here we are again.
This evening, (using the 24-hour clock,) we will see: 20.12 on the 20th of the 12th, 12.

Number always amuse me. I still don't know the answer to the following old mathematical conundrum. There must be someone out there who knows how this works.

Three old ladies club together to buy a second-hand TV.
When they get to the shop they find the only one they can afford is an old black and white one for thirty quid. So they put in 10 each and ask the bloke to deliver it.
After they leave the shop he feels sorry for them and says to his van driver, "Tell the old ladies I've made a mistake and the TV should only have been 25, and give them back five pounds."
The driver sees the opportunity to make himself a couple of quid and so only gives the ladies 3, keeping 2 for himself.
Here's the thing.... The ladies have therefore only contributed 9 each instead of 10.
3 x 9 = 27. The driver has got 2 in his pocket, making 29. Where's the other 1 gone?

You shouldn't be adding the 2 to 27 but rather deducting it; they paid 27 of which 25 went to the shop and 2 to deliveryman. Once the price was reduced, 30 became a red herring.
Saturday 29 December 2012 7.04pm
I happen to have more than the average number of legs.
But how is this possible? (No false limbs involved.)
Thursday 10 January 2013 2.26pm
because a few people have a leg, or part thereof, missing, the average across the population is slightly less than 2, but the vast majority of people have 2 legs.... unless you're Jake The Peg in disguise of course.
Thursday 10 January 2013 3.09pm
Correct, JonR.
There are people with one or no legs, but not three. Therefore the national average must be slightly less than two.

One of those little conundrums that often has people looking further than the obvious for what is a answer.
Sunday 20 January 2013 9.58am
Tell the old ladies I've made a mistake and the TV should only have been 25, and give them back five pounds."
looking for room in London

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: