Modern day manners..

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 23 February 2013 5.49pm
Yesterday my daughter,myself,and 2 and a half year old grand-daughter were invited to a small childrens afternoon tea party. There were several lovely toddlers all playing nicely and they were a delight to see. What I found so annoying was that three of the Mums spent more time on their i-phones, not answering calls or texts but playing games.

Now I thought that was pig ignorant, I am used to seeing people on trains,tubes etc., with that bit of plastic glued to their hand but assuming that if they are so rude to do this in someones house at a toddlers party, what chance do their children have of getting Mums attention at home?

Am I really turning into Mrs.Meldrew or is this an unavoidable part of modern life?
Saturday 23 February 2013 10.58pm
Agree with you 100% Jan.
My wife and I regularly watch "Blue Bloods" a New York City family of cops drama on Sky Atlantic.
Last week she had a "leaving do" to attend so she asked me to record it.
A day or two later I said, "Shall we watch Blue Bloods?"
"Okay", she replied.
I set it up, pressed play, and a minute or two later glanced over at her, she was concentrating on her iPhone screen.
"What are you doing kid" I said.
"Checking Facebook", came the reply.
I felt like throwing the TV, her, and her phone out of the window.
Sunday 24 February 2013 10.16am
Lol Tom, and as for facebook I sound like the the real mr.meldrew! a few years back I like an idiot joined Facebook and I was staggered at the amount of information that people place on there, where they have been that day, where they are going tomorrow,what they had for dinner,what they think of their friends who after reading some of the comments can 'unfriend' them?

In the old days families who lived away from their families would send photos of new arrivals which would take pride of place on the walls of the living room, now you have to peer at tiny phone shots online!

Years ago Tom you'd get on a train to go on holiday and you would hear excited chatter from the children..'are we there yet?' can we go to the beach straight away' now small children sit in silence on trains playing with their gadgets, some people may find that a Godsend but I would rather hear children doing what comes naturally making a flipping noise!

No wonder we are becoming such an insular * society unable to understand others needs..

* not sure if I have used that word correctly Tom, but I know what I mean! lol
Sunday 24 February 2013 2.35pm
I know what you meant too Jan, but if you Google "insular" it will tell you that it appertains to living on an island!
It also says something like "only being interested in what YOU want, and/or, not being interested in what others want," which is a bit like living on an island.
So, we both know what you meant.
Tuesday 26 February 2013 8.25pm
Meet the second Mrs Meldrew Jan! Mums constantly on phones, ignoring kids who are acting up because they want attention, drive me mad! Likewise people who walk straight into you on the pavement because answering their phone is much more important than engaging politely with fellow citizens...I could go on and on...I am sure you get the picture.
Wednesday 27 February 2013 10.21am
Hi Beverly,

I frequently have to have treatment in a day ward for a few days at a time, yesterday I was trying to read and take my mind off the uncomfortable shunt in my arm and all I could hear was ...bleep bleep...not the wards equipment but phones being used for games..okay fair enough I read, they play, then a lady with a very loud voice had a long and lengthy conversation on her mobile with her friend who must have been very amusing 'cos all the patient did was laugh and had I had a decibel meter it would have been off the scale! going back today..hope she has recovered! lol..memo to self must stop moaning!
Tuesday 28 May 2013 11.07am
Hi, Mrs. Meldrew again...no wonder so many children are in danger of not having any social graces. Sitting on the wall outside my house yesterday, saw a young Mum walking ahead of her two very small children, perhaps 3 and 4..she was listening to her i-pod thingy with a pleasant smile on her face, then realising that her little ones were not within clouting reach..a distance of 15 feet I would guess, she snarled at them and yelled..'get the f**k 'ere wiv me' I was worried that the little ones would run out in the very busy road ( what happened to toddlers wearing leather walking reins?)

I wondered what would have happened if she had reached deverell street without seeing they were not with her..just crossed the road I guess.. I really think that having babys should be not allowed until at least 21! she was about 20...:-(
Tuesday 28 May 2013 5.15pm
I'm DEFINITELY Mrs. Meldrew. I love my phone and it's jolly useful, but I am really hacked off at all these people GLUED to their bloody screens. They walk down the road staring at them so I deliberately barge into them. My old university campus where we all used to sit around chatting is full of students gazing at a screen or with a phone pinned to their ears. My grandchildren grab my phone without a by your leave and start playing with it. And I pity all the toddlers whose mothers seem completely oblivious to them....what have we done? So sad.
Tuesday 28 May 2013 8.22pm
I know Jackie, what have we allowed to happen? and when my grand-daughter was at school she would text her Mum during a lesson, when my daughter told her off she said all the pupils do it! Why do they allow children to have mobiles in school, is our modern life so perilous they can not be safe In school? Mind you thinking about it Jackie it's the getting home that is the worry!
Wednesday 29 May 2013 6.58am
Absolutely Jan. My husband was giving a lecture and I was sitting at the back and all the students were cruising their mobiles...I was shocked. Goodness knows why the schools dont have rules regarding mobiles...extraordinary.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: