Shengan Visa - a money making machine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 26 March 2003 12.20pm
Hello, I hold an indian passport have been in United Kingdom since 3 years now . I ‘always' need a shengan visa to travel to 'shengan countries'. Prior to the shengan visa procedure changes, i had to stand in the 'morning queues' which itself was such a pain and now the procedure requires me to dial a 0906 premium rate number ($1 per minute, such a rip off) which lasts a minimum of 10 minutes (depending upon how patient you are before you cannot listen to any more of the recorded message) before you realize that the first appointment date is one month away.

This makes me think whether really we are in year 2003 ? why is it that one piece of paper decides where and which country I can and should go when I have holidays ? Is it simply because I am an indian citizen ? or is it simply the best way to rip off money from people by asking them to call ? I understand that visa process has to check the person past information and judge whether he/she should be allowed to visit a country or not ? But the process of reaching at that stage itself should be easier and not a money making unnecessary process.

I will appreciate if somebody can help me how can i get the shengan visa before easter holidays.

Tarun Sonania

Wednesday 26 March 2003 12.36pm
my sympathies go to you Tarun. Must be very frustrating indeed.

The UK strangely is not part of the Schengen agreement. I'd recomend you go to the embassies involved (Holland, Belgium, Germany etc. etc.) and get your visa's direct from them... turn around times should be much quicker.

I recently called a friend who was recovering from a minor operation in hostpital, and found that my call to him was being charged at BT premium rates. Utterly outrageous.

Hope this helps somehow !

Thursday 27 March 2003 9.56am
Hi jai, i appreciate your sugges'n. i called Luxembourg embassy and i was surprised that they have a 0207 number and i got thru them in two rings itself. i will get my visa from them.

But my point is that a country should and does benefit from tourists from all the possible ways and yet the process of getting visas is becoming harder and harder.

it really makes you feel are we limiting freedom in this aspect too !!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: