I'm thinking of getting a smartphone - but which one?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
mac
Monday 18 March 2013 1.27pm
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm thinking of joining the 21st century and upgrading from my antique mobile to a smartphone. Are iphones the best or are there better phones available?

Thanks for any tips!
Monday 18 March 2013 5.42pm
My only tip...get a Samsung.
Monday 18 March 2013 6.05pm
My wife and I both had Nokias for ages, I eventually switched to a Samsung.
Neither of us experienced any trouble with any of these handsets.
None of them were Smartphones, my one and only criteria in opting for one phone over another was size and weight, if I could have got one the size of a matchbox, weighing one gram, and which worked, I would have had it.
Eventually we were both seduced by my younger son's Apple iPhone.
I bought one outright from the Apple store, and transferred to Giff-Gaff from O2.
My wife got hers from 3 and took out a 36.00 p.m. contract.
We both think that they are great, but keep them out of sight if we're in Tooley St!
Tuesday 19 March 2013 5.03pm
Hi Mac,

Iphone or android phone I don't think you can go wrong. It is worth considering the Google Nexus 4 - purchasing the handset on its own could likely save you paying for a needlessly high monthly contract.

http://www.google.co.uk/nexus/4/

I have an iPhone by the way so no bias here!
mac
Wednesday 20 March 2013 9.57am
thanks for these replies, very helpful!
Thursday 21 March 2013 3.29pm
I have a Sony Xperia which I bought direct from Sony for around 140. Pretty much ticks all the boxes and is half the price of an IPhone. Only downside is that the screen is smaller, however, this makes it easier to carry in a pocket. I agree with James B, always buy a smart phone rather than getting it "free" on a contract
mac
Friday 22 March 2013 10.03am
Thanks Zcars. I have read about the Sony Xperia - I think it was rated #1 on a 'league table' of phones I saw somewhere.

Sorry, I know I'm a complete dunce, but you say it's better to buy the phone outright (and then presumably just pay for calls/data etc that you use)? Is that because the monthly contract + phone is more expensive than just paying for a calls/data plan? What is the benefit of getting a plan (why do people do it)? The fact that you can upgrade?

Thanks again!
Friday 22 March 2013 2.43pm
Hi Mac
I prefer not to be tied into a phone deal for 24 months, and as I'm a heavy user of data and minutes I have a SIM free phone with a 12 month SIM contract that includes unlimited data and minutes for 21/month. So the phone cost 140, the SIM will cost 252 for a years worth of unlimited (so 644 for 2 years) use as opposed to a 24 month phone with SIM contract at 35/month (limited data and calls), total 840 for 2 years. And I'm free to change the phone whenever I want
mac
Friday 22 March 2013 3.03pm
Hi Zcars

that makes a lot of sense - thanks for the tip!

all the best
Mac
Sunday 7 April 2013 12.39pm
Hi zcars, would you mind telling me who you're with, unlimited data for 21 pcm sounds really good! Do you have any problems with connecting? Thanks. Cate
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: