Am I mad to stay outside SE1 this year?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 26 May 2003 8.46pm
Hello again - it's the nuiscance from Ireland bothering you again.

I have followed threads from Barbara for the past year, and note that she stays in the County Hall with her children. Excellent choice - I first stayed there 3 times before. I love the location (well how could you not!?), and the convenience. We stay 3 nights (4 day Travelcard) and it's great because you can go out in the morning, return back for a re-charge after lunch, and go out again once or twice more in the same evening.

But the girls are proclaiming that they are fed up with the same thing, so this year I've gone utterly mad and instead booked the Travel Inn (or Travelodge) at Beckton. First of all it's (understandably) cheaper. Also it's right beside the DLR (I've been looking at aerial photos on Web), and near a supermarket. As we are always watching the budget, I do a lot of food shopping for breakfast stuff and snacks. I can highly recommend Tesco at Canary Wharf - the reduced to clear stuff is quite posh!

So being near a supermarket to us is like being near to Disneyland!
I reckon there must be some fast food joints (we are dreadfully common!) around Beckton.

I will endeavour to utilise our 4 zone Travelcard to the full. I am hoping it will be an adventure - we will have a 4 zone Travelcard so can travel further afield. (My husband goes to Oxfordshire each August, so we get the 'free' ride on the ferry and use the few days to spend time in wonderful London.

The sad thing is - I won't be near the Bermondsey Kitchen and all the places I feel I know so well! AM I TOTALLY AND UTTERLY MAD?
Monday 26 May 2003 10.35pm
I don't know how much the Travel Inn at Beckton is, but there is a Travel Lodge on Tower Bridge Road which is pretty cheap by London standards. Obviously not nearly as swanky as County Hall, but it must be better than Beckton, and you can get the bus (78) to Tesco Old Kent Road, which again, you must know so well!

Plus, it is a short stroll to the Tower of London. I have lived in London for 14 years now, but I still get excited whenever I cross Tower Bridge (even though I do it every day!!) and see the Tower.

You must let us know when you are over and we can try to spot each other in the Bermondsey Kitchen!!
Monday 26 May 2003 10.42pm
Just checked my facts, and it's a Travel Inn and is 20 a night more expensive than the Beckton one. Sorry!
Tuesday 27 May 2003 8.02pm
I am afraid I am not for turning as regards Beckton! I like a challenge.....

Thanks Miss Jo Jo for researching prices! You are too kind!

I have been to Surrey Quays Tesco, and to the 'Superstore' (come off it, it's just a bigger version of Spar) at St Katherine's Dock (Safeways?) so I think the Old Kent Road might be a bit of a step down for us. We also went to Sainsburys in Camden town, and many others.

But I thought Woolies around Bermondsey (near Jamaica Rd?) was a godsend on a wet day when we were doing our 'try and imagine what it was like for Jade to live around here' experiment last year.

I managed to get myself and 2 daughters locked upstairs on that new bus - the one that spans the riverside route, and goes near the Tower. I know the route has been referred to on previous occasions, where people said they had to get off and pay again because the bus didn't do the complete route in one go. It was worse for us, we were sitting upstairs waiting for it to continue - not realising that the driver was long gone and we were locked in!
But some kind passers-by came to our rescue and notified other London Buses staff!

I also managed to leave one child behind on a bus in Oxford Street - I thought we were at a bus stop and got off! But it was O.K. in the end - and it gave my husband a laugh when we told him
the story...

I am of the firm belief that these are the things that one remembers for the rest of your life - and no doubt we will have some more 'adventures' in Beckton. I am just hoping that it's an O.K. area! One wonders if I am fit to let out in the community...
Tuesday 27 May 2003 8.45pm
How about experiencing the joys of the Greenwich Peninsula in SE10?

There's a Holiday Inn there as well. I will also be moving there (the Millennium Village) very shortly, much to the dismay of the SE1 community no doubt :P

Josh
Wednesday 28 May 2003 2.35pm
Hi Deidre - It's Barbara here !! - Yes, it is certainly an accomplishment tackling London with children !!! - I too focus on the wonderful experience it is for them !!!!
I've just looked up Beckton Travelinn as I haven't stayed there.I agree that it could well be a voyage of discovery !!! The supermarket/shops have to be a big bonus and there could well be other interesting places in the area. However, I think that the main thing depends on the ages of the girls.If they are only little and you need eyes in the back of your head, that traffic free riverside walk in SE1 works wonders for the stress levels. They can even go into the Clink museum on their own, while you have that well deserved capucino nearby !!! - I wouldn't underestimate the journey from Beckton to central London. I've stayed at Rotherhithe and found the journey on the Tube, changing stations, with young children an ordeal !! - Another bonus is the cheaper rate at Beckton.Something to consider though is that the Travelinn at County Hall charge 115 per night for b/b & 3 course evening meal for all the occupants of the room. - A good deal if there are 4 in the room. I often just buy French bread and cheese at lunchtime and a drink from wherever I am !!! Like you I find the central location of County Hall great - but you never know,Beckton is there to be discovered !!!! - If you do change your mind, there's still time to just overide the girls opinions (!!!!!) and go back to SE1. - Have they been to the backstage ballet tours at the theatre in Covent Garden ??? - Difficult to get to from Beckton !!! - Bye for now - Barbara
Wednesday 28 May 2003 4.39pm
Hi Deirdre - Barbara again. - Beckton has been on my mind, so much so, that I've just been on the "knowhere" guide to check it out !!! The DLR has to be an advantage, but I don't know if I'm "completly" convinced about its advantages over SE1 ???!!!!!! Also, by reading some of your previous threads, I now realise that the girls are older. Surely they'd love going out in the evening around SE1 ???!!! - I've been recommended some great places for when I take my 16 year old neice with me to London, that I could forward !! - Maybe somebody who has been to Beckton could throw some more light on the situation!!! - Can't believe that I've now entered the world of Beckton,when I'd never heard of it until a few hours ago !!!!! - Just to add a further dimension to the dilema......... I'm occaisonally a traitor and stay in Kensington !! - There's a Travel Inn there too - a good Waitrose at Gloucester Road Tube and all the museums (Titanic Exhibition this summer)Kensington Palace and High Street all in the immediate area.........just "food for thought". !!!!!! - Bye - Barbara.
Wednesday 28 May 2003 11.11pm
thanks barbara! - BUT REST ASSURED FOLKS, JUST COS WE'LL BE OUT IN THE STICKS DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T GET ALL AROUND THE PLACE... I'LL HAVE THEM IN TRAINING SOON... (IN FACT, THIS SATURDAY I AM BUILDING UP THEIR STAMINA, WE ARE GOING FROM IRELAND TO HOLYHEAD (WALES) ON THE FAST FERRY FOR A DAY TRIP - ARRIVING WALES AT 8.19 A.M, LEAVING 18.00 P.M. (PLENTY OF TIME TO VISIT THEIR EXCELLENT TESCO'S, COMPLETE WITH SUPERIOR CAFTERIA..) ... COST - I EURO PER PERSON (1.50 STERLING OR SUMMAT LIKE THAT)... I NEVER MISS A BARGAIN..

JOSH - KEEP IN TOUCH ON SE1 - AFTER ALL, THEY LET ME ON, AND I AM IN ANOTHER COUNTRY...

SE1 IS MORE THAN AN AREA, IT IS A STATE OF MIND..... KEEP ON ROCKING JOSH...
p.s. (and this is me editing it, not poor James censoring )...

Greenwich is cool, Mudchute is mega! (Did you know the first superstar Big Brother chicken, Marjorie, lives there?)

Post edited (29 May 03 00:16)
Thursday 29 May 2003 5.30am
Isn't it strange that some people find an area attractive while others find the opposite. Personally my family and I can't wait to get out of London as soon as possible. We find it is not a good place any longer to bring up a family despite all the "attractions". Unfortunately we live in a council house, so it isn't as easy as just selling up and leaving. We are desparate to move somewhere quieter and where is lots of open space. We are aiming to the north of scotland where we have spent some holidays. My wife was born and brought up London but I was born and brought up in Swansea. But, I supose every is different.
Monday 2 June 2003 10.28am
Without wanting to put a dampener on the adventure of staying in Beckton, Deirdre, I've been there and it is pretty grim. And it smells of sewage most days. My friend lived there for a couple of years and tells a similar story.

Having said that, maybe there's a nice end to it, I'd be very interested to find out! I'd just say just be careful after dark (same as with anywhere though really) and try not to get lost in the labyrinthine housing estates just by the DLR station!

Good luck!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: