Harry Potter

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 20 June 2003 5.32am
Firstly m must admit to never having read any of the potter books as this type of book doesn't interest me remotely. But, it is unbelieveable how much hype there is about it's launch. I believe there are two editions of the book, an adult and childrens version, the only difference being the cover. I believe the paperback is being sold at 17, somewhat a rip off I think. apparently, one of the characters is being killed off (a great secret), so if you don't buy the book at midnight and read it by breakfast time, the whole media circus will have read it and revealed it secrets ad infinitum by 9 o'c. My son-in-law is even queueing at midnight to buy it for my daughter before they go on holiday at ten that morning--devotion or madness? It appears that everybody who has come into contact with this book has had to sign a security document banning any divulgence of it's contents or even in some cases from even opening the book. Is this not a prime example of media hysteria and author and publisher greed. 17 for a paper back children's book, for that is what it is, is sheer greed. So on saturday, buy your copy, read it, talk about it for a couple of days, and then please! shut up about it. It's had enough free publicity already. Even I've gone on about it too long.
Friday 20 June 2003 9.46am
Afraid that's the free market old boy. Good luck to entrepreneurs, and those who do something creative with their lives.

Better still, read the books, and join in!
Friday 20 June 2003 11.16am
It will only be available in hardback to start with, hence the 17 price tag (not unusual for a hardback) though you can pre-order from Amazon for only 8.50. I do think, though, that as it is a children's book it should be released in softback from the start. But, as mapmaker pointed out, that's the free market for you.
Friday 20 June 2003 5.27pm
..and is it such a big deal - the hype around Harry Potter has got to be better than reading about the footballer and the ex spice girl.

I think the books are good fun and anything that gets boys reading something has got to be a good thing, hasn't it?
Friday 4 July 2003 11.28am
I finished the new Harry Potter last night, and I don't think it's nearly as good as the others. Maybe it would have been better if it had been edited down by 200 pages or so.
Tuesday 8 July 2003 3.01pm
Yeah - and I mean - *^%$$ - hardly a major character - spent the first two books in prison, the third disguised as a dog... and Rowling's saying she shed tears about polishing him off... honestly - this country!

TLMJJ - any joy on getting Hatts to set up a Lonely Hearts? Any females interested in running of to France (I leave tomorrow).

Post edited (09 Jul 03 10:56)
Wednesday 9 July 2003 7.57am
Do the decent thing, Ralph and edit your post so as not to spoil the surprise for anybody else!
Wednesday 9 July 2003 9.21am
Already ruined it for me....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network