Not many home users here !!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 13 August 2003 9.40pm
99% of the posts are done during office hours. The same
occurs in most groups. Either most people have very boring
jobs, or they don't have a computer at home.
Wednesday 13 August 2003 11.18pm
I do both. Maybe most people just have better things to do in the evening than we do....
Thursday 14 August 2003 9.24pm
In my job, we do not have access to the Internet (and if we did, I'd be scared to be on it too much!), and on our home p.c. (which is just recovering from a bout of blaster worm virus) we have to wait until 6.00 p.m. to get the cheap access!

On a lighter note - myself & daughters had a great trip to London last weekend - 100 degrees couldn't put us off!. Actually, our movements were severely curtailed. But we managed to visit those essential tourist spots - Hamley's, the West India Quay Multiplex (for Pirates of the Caribbean, to keep teenage Orlando Bloom fan quiet - but Johnny Depp was the star for me..), the Zoo (32 years since I was at London Zoo, and it didn't disappoint), and the obvious one - Lewisham Shopping Centre!.

I have to say ONCE AGAIN that we found people in London to be so very polite - we went to Woolies at Chrisp Street in Poplar (another obvious tourist haunt!), and the lady on the till had to get a price checked - she kept apologising for the delay (this doesn't happen so much in Dublin)... the staff in Boots in Lewisham were really helpful, the London Transport people were pleasant, etc, etc, etc. We even witnessed a total stranger buying a meal for an elderly gentleman who was sitting in the BHS cafeteria in Lewisham, and who looked like he could do with some T.L.C. - now I bet you don't see much of that sort of thing at the Ritz or the Ivy!

My daughter was amazed at a man apologising profusely for accidentially stepping on her toe on the tube - while he was standing up to offer someone else his seat..

Sadly the only trip to SE1 was a hurried visit via Embankment, over the Millennium bridge and back over Westminster Bridge ... it was too hot to risk fractious daughters over-heating...

But someday soon I hope to go back on my own, and see as much as possible... Travelodge in Docklands was so convenient, and all those dinky little Docklands stations every few yards or so....

Be proud of your city!

Hope your Social Evening is going well........

Deirdre.
Friday 15 August 2003 2.31pm
at my (exciting, oh yes) job I have to sit in front of a pc which has a high speed connection. at home i choose to sit in front of a book, or a dinner plate, or a cold beer. if i could post to this excellent forum from there (or, the pub) i would. perhaps its best i can't...
Wednesday 22 October 2003 8.30pm
I am a full time carer to my wife.

To get online has been so good for me in many ways.
I need "time-out", and that can be any time, so I guess
my surfing habits could be said to be unstable.

I take Jo Jo's point. And yet for me? I have to say that
I find it so very relaxing and nice to just sit here and
have some project or aim to go at. At the moment I am
building a new PC ... and the Internet is a mine of info.

So I guess it's a mixture of a few things that get me here
in the first place, and also going online when my wife is able
to rest. It's my "space" (maybe the wrong word) But it gives
me chance to rally myself around, to see and read things
of interest to me.

We are all here for different reasons, and I am sure we all
benefit from whatever they may be for the time we spend
on the internet with the available time that we have.

Speaking of which? ... My available time has ran out (smile)
I need to prepare supper and get my wife's med's sorted out.

Franklyn

I don't declare myself to be a poet ... merely a writer of words.

Never underestimate the power of your thoughts.
Thursday 23 October 2003 3.01pm
Sorry to gate-crash, but I'm joining you from my place of work and just wanted to say that Im touched by your comments Frank. They're very soothing.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Thursday 23 October 2003 3.59pm
Know just what you mean Franklyn, my husband has just gone into a nursing home. The internet was and is a Godsend. During the last several years in the middle of the night when Don would need me for things that I cannot mention on here! I could never get back to sleep so surfed the net! that was how I found Londonse1, :-)

jan

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: