Dodgy emails

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
jac
Wednesday 20 August 2003 6.10pm
For the first time I have started to recieve many unsolicited emails (yes I know I have been lucky up until now). They seem to be coming from completely random senders including one from a morley college email address. All have the same message "see the atached file for details" and are under a variety of subjects, such as your details, Thank you and even wicked screen saver. Needless to say I haven't opened any of the files.

Has anyone else been geting similar email and any advice on how to stop them. Is it possible to find out where these sender are getting my email address from? I seem to be getting more each day.
Wednesday 20 August 2003 8.12pm
It sounds as if you are on the receiving end of the bugbear virus - do they have attachments?
Wednesday 20 August 2003 8.43pm
It's a virus.
I've just had to do a sweep through my PC.
It's a bit of a nightmare this one.
jkd
Wednesday 20 August 2003 8.50pm
Yup we too have been receiving all of a sudden unsolicited emails and are currently updating our Sophos anti-virus software. Looks like a new patch comes out every week at this rate. I too am curious to know how they get our email address.....Moral is never open the attachments unless you are 100% sure of the sender and even then be careful as we received a so called kosher email from BT Internet which was bogus = BT are looking into it.
Wednesday 20 August 2003 8.56pm
75% of the 4 previous post here are displaying their email
address in their profile. There is software constantly trawling
the net scooping up email addresses and selling the list to
spammers. Better to keep an email specifically for forums and
chat and another for friends and family.
I use http://www.nameplanet.com for family and in 3 years
have not received a single spam email, wheras my 3 hotmails
are bombarded with Brittney offers and appendage extension
offers -- I wonder if they work !!!!!!!

Post edited (20 Aug 03 21:59)
Wednesday 20 August 2003 9.13pm
If it is the bugbear one, what it does is send emails from the affected computer but instead of sending them with that email address attaches an email address from the person's inbox, if you see what I mean. You can get free patches to fix it from symantec.

And phoney's right - you should set up a separate email address for use on websites like this to avoid your main one being sent loads of cr*p.
Thursday 21 August 2003 12.06am
One year ago I bought an iMac and now I get no viruses at all...

I found no problem in switching from Windows, just need to migrate the data files, and I enjoy using the computer much more than ever before in my previous 15 years with Microsoft's excuses for an operating system.

Recommend it !

ps: of course I still get spam, but since none of the evil attachments are designed for Apple's OS X (so far anyway), my anti-virus software has not been called into use even once..

Post edited (21 Aug 03 01:23)
Thursday 21 August 2003 8.36am
This virus is called SoBig-F. Quite a nasty ones, by all accounts. So far all the anti-virus softwares don't seem to catch it - golden rule in email, don't open any attachements unless they are from trusted sources.

More details about it can be found here:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100561.htm
jac
Thursday 21 August 2003 9.04am
Thanks for the replies. It does seem it is a virus. However I thought virus were attached to the files and only activated if you open the files. I have not opened any attachments but seem to have been affected anyway.

I only open attachments I am expecting and delete all others. Looks like I had better get my virus protection up to date quick.
Thursday 21 August 2003 9.09am
I am getting hundreds of these emails - about 400 in 8 hours.

Luckily I too am a Mac user so the infected files are quite harmless, but it is still a nuisance.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: