Deirdre's Trip

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 24 August 2003 11.50am
Hi Deirdre - How did your trip go and how was the Travel Inn? - I've been backwards and forwards to the area throughout the summer, and had some great times. - Still desperately trying to get into County Hall for the festival on 13th September, but no luck so far !!! - Barbara.
Sunday 24 August 2003 3.08pm
Barbara - I have given an account of our trip on the 'Not many home users' thread - not the correct place for it, I know.

We were in London during the hottest time - including the 100 degrees Sunday! Because of the weather, my galivanting was curtailed. Also my daughters prefer to watch T.V. for a few hours rather than be constantly on the go. I obviously have not reared them properly at all.

But I suppose you'd be interested to know what the Travelodge Docklands was like - well, it was certainly great value at 44.95 per room per night. But for that price you're not going to get Air Conditioning, (or even a plug in fan like they have stored in those utility cupboards in Travel Inn county hall, along with irons & ironing boards). I've stayed in Travelodges more than 20 times, and I have to say that I was less than impressed with the pillows in this one - they were like the ones we have at home, and when someone comes to stay, you have to stuff 2 pillows into one case to make it look a bit more presentable - pillows are not supposed to be flat! Also the bathroom door catch was broken - we could have complained, but it was too hot to hang around at reception!

But the place was clean, and had a nice Bar Cafe attached (which, needless to say, I ignored in favour of d.i.y. meals via Somerfields & Tescos).

There are 2 main aspects to the building - one looking out towards the offices - that side was quiet but got too much sun. Our side was facing the A13, and it felt like we were sleeping in the central reservation of a motorway - traffic noise all the time - well, we HAD to have the window open ALL THE TIME.

The D.L.R. station was only 5 mins away, and if that's too far to walk, there's a bus that goes to Canary Wharf - the stop is about 3-4 mins walk away.

On our way to and from London (as husband was at Fairport Festival in Oxfordshire) we stayed at Travelodge in Oxford - last year it was 69.96 per night, this year 49.95. So I was pleased at that saving. It's right beside the park and ride, so we women could travel from the train station to the Travelodge for buttons.
We were lucky that trains to and from London were on time. When we 'landed' at Oxford, there was an announcement, that the train which was going on to Hereford, would be delayed for 60 minutes at Oxford station.

As always, we were pleasantly surprised at how polite everyone was in London (again, see 'not many home users' thread). I would love to have gone to the National Gallery again, but I can always be consoled by a grocery shopping trip to Tesco Metro at Canary Wharf! The Zoo was lovely - we got there just as it opened, and it was a good while before it got too crowded. If it ever gets that hot again, I cannot recommend Burger King on Baker Street highly enough - so cool downstairs. O.K. I know it's not your style (or most peoples) but it WAS cool (and besides, we had to use our 20% discount vouchers!). Glad to see that Oxford Street shops stay open till 8.00 p.m. on Saturdays.

And the best bit was Johnny Depp .... alas, not in the flesh, but in 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. He can borrow my eyeliner any day.

I look forward to another trip when I can try to fit in so much more 'exploring'. Maybe Barbara and I could publish travel guides - 'how the other half travel' - I could do the 'rough' side while Barbara could do the cultured bit..
Sunday 24 August 2003 5.12pm
Hi Deirdre - Yes, we too were in London during the hottest time, as I often go there just for the day, on the 7.30AM train from Liverpool !!!! - The kids couldn't be fobbed off with drinks that I'd bought at Aldi to take with us, so ended up spending a fortune at all the sweetshops, that they insisted on stopping at, for drinks & ice - lollies !!!! - We went to the Museum of London which was great, as the kids love the Romans. The tourist information office near St Pauls gave me all the bus info. that saved us walking everywhere, as the kids were knackered with the heat. - Wanted to do more, but it was too hot, whereas this weekend has been great there. The weather has been a bit cooller & better for getting around.We went to the Theatre Museum in Covent Garden - free & wonderful !! - I'm trying to arrange a trip for the 13th Sept to coincide with the Thames festival, & also to see the Titanic Exhibition in Kensington, which should be good !!!! Yes, we could certainly write that guide !!!!!! (although don't know about me & culture, - more like where has the best choice of ice-lollies !!!) - What a coincidence that we too like Fairport & have seen them many times !!!!!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: