non alchoholic drinkers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 30 September 2003 10.10am
From time to time, various circumstances force me to become a non drinker. I still love going to pubs, but the range of drinks on offer is very poor, after two pints of lemonade I feel sick. So, two questions: What can a non-drinker drink that's not going to make them feel as vile as if they'd drank cheap lager, and why - given that they're not paying as much duty on soft drinks - are they as expensive as the regular drinks? I know people have to make a profit, but last night I went into a pub in The Forest of Dean, and paid 20p for a pint of lime and soda, 20p! Try this in a pub in London.

Post edited (30 Sep 03 11:33)
Tuesday 30 September 2003 11.10am
Lucky you to be in the Forest. Close knit place.

Have you tried ginger beer (preferably D&G - it tastes of ginger not sugar) and lime?

It's tasty, but will still be expensive. Your point about duty is v true. I used to think it was odd paying the same for a soft drink as for a beer on the continent, but it makes sense in places where alcohol duty is v low and the price of a drink is really the price of some service and a chair to sit on, etc. However, we seem to have adopted continental pricing whilst not recognising that the duty on alco-drinks is so significant as to make a big difference in profit margin when selling all drinks at the same prices (hope that made sense)
Tuesday 30 September 2003 11.44am
IMHO the quality and variety, or lack of it, is more of a problem than the price. Come on friendly landlords, get some real lemonade / ginger beer / coffee... on the go.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Monday 6 October 2003 1.37pm
When I'm not drinking, I find very cold Kaliber works with curries. Klausthaler lager (0.5%) is good in pints and with lemonade or ginger beer in shandies. Double orange juice and soda in a pint glass is a good thirstquencher. Red grape juice is quite acceptable where I would usually drink red wine - white grape juice is yuk, though. Purdeys silver label or elderflower fizzy water are good white wine subs.

In fact, Purdeys silver is really good anytime, as it contains exotic psychostimulant herbs - berrybark and damiana - as well as ginseng. Hic man!
Monday 6 October 2003 1.55pm
Thanks for the tips, although as I'm trying to avoid stimulants at the moment, I don't think "psychostimulant herbs" are a good idea. I spotted Kaliber at The Spitz last week, but didn't want to pay 2.50 for a bottle. I'll keep an eye out for the Klausthaler. D&G ginger beer - that's not that designer label is it? If it is I look forward to the other fashion houses joining in, Givenchy bitter anyone? Yves St. Laurent lager?
Monday 6 October 2003 2.15pm
No, it's Desnoes & Geddes, the brewers of Red Stripe (and it's a zillion times better than anything by Dolce & Banana
Monday 6 October 2003 2.32pm
Cheers!
Monday 6 October 2003 2.39pm
Now moved to the Chatter section

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: