mutual exchanges in council property

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 27 October 2003 4.10pm
I'm doing again and I said i would not!

just a one liner - if a tenant carries out a mutual exchange with another tenant - would it be reasonable to expect either of them to call in a surveyor to look at the property?

A friend of mine recently moved to London and after taken up the carpets discovered that the floorboards were in need of nailing down and replacing...apparently you could see the gap between the skirting board and floor boards to wiring underneath. The lights keep blowing - the wall is bowing out - and because she moved in after renovations were due to be carried out the estate officer has told her that she is not entitled to have repairs done...would this be correct?

he is now refusing to visit her and her 'case' is now closed because she asked him if he was mad not to see the gap between floor and skirting...he said she had insulted him!

would he be entitled to ignore her requests for essential repairs?

I know it's several lines ...sorry :-(

Tuesday 28 October 2003 12.53pm
Surely, if the power keeps blowing, it is possible that it could cause a fire. Does not the Council have a duty of care, and as it is the councils property, isn't their responsibility to keep the property in good repair?
Wednesday 29 October 2003 6.04am
Thats a sensible thought John, but as we know sensible thoughts don't always fit in to some council's staff minds...I just want to know where Southwark would stand if the occupants of this property were hurt or killed by the failure of the council to carry out repairs? If your a tenant your a tenant.. your repair needs must be the same if you had a mutual exchange or not? I think the staff that are employed in housing offices should have a basic and practical knowledge about essential and non essential repairs.

I think she should approach the South London Press ask them to visit her and take photos etc., formally ask the Director of housing who ever that is to initiate action, and if that fails, take the complaint to the....? sorry senior moment cant spell the rotten word!...Ombids..ombuddy men or darn....the bloke who you ultimately complain to about injustice etc! helpppp....:-)
Saturday 8 November 2003 12.07am
I don't think it makes much difference whether property is subject of a mutual exchange or not, if problem is something serious like blowing fuses. This obviously needs looking at seriously & quickly. I suggest
(1) contacting Director of Housing - he is Keith Broxup, 9 Larcom St SE17 1RX
(2) Contacting your local Councillors (details from 7525 1111)
(3)CAB or local law centre
(4) going to arbitration (Southwark arbitration, 35 East House Peckham Road SE5)
(5) Ombudsman is last resort. Takes ages & anyway findings not enforecable by law.
Hope this is some help

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network