tracing family trees

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 30 December 2003 10.08am
I cann't remember if I have asked before, but does anyone know of any good, free, websites to use for tracing ancestors. There seem to be lot which offer free trials but not until you first give them your credit card number, uh no. I will be eternally grateful if someone could advise me. many thanks.
Tuesday 30 December 2003 11.31am
You could always try www.genesconnected.co.uk. It's by the same people who do Friends Reunited. It's free, but it only lists family members if they're registered users themselves. I've not used it so I can't say how good I think it is, but it may be worth a pop?!?
Tuesday 30 December 2003 5.42pm
Many thanks James. I have my wife's parents birth certificates, but they seem to give you little information to go one step further back, eg, their parents dates of birth. Well! nothing in this world is simple.
jan
Friday 2 January 2004 7.33am
John - try the 1901 census....at least it will give you a lead about brothers or sisters, I had no birth certificates for my mums family and after going onto this found several people even she had forgotten about.... word of warning though, initially when you find the correct name it's so fascinating you'll spend a fortune, I do mine in five pound slots....it will tell you the occupations if working age....and it's so easy to navigate the site.... if your inlaws are not that old try using grand parents names....

I also found that I had been using the wrong spelling of Mums maiden name!

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Tuesday 6 January 2004 9.21am
There was a website featured in the paper yesterday - www.1837online.com. This allows you to search the register of births, marriages and deaths since 1837 - the year the register was started. You may have to pay to get to the real meaty stuff, but it'll be a nominal fee I'm sure...
Tuesday 6 January 2004 9.33am
It's only 10 pence per view.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 9.40am
You're spoiling your Party Animal image by knowing so damn much Jo Jo!

Post edited (06 Jan 04 10:34)
Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.21pm
James,
That's your image of TLMJJ. Some of us have met her........

xxxx

Sarah
Tuesday 6 January 2004 3.36pm
I know...she's already tried to dismiss my first impressions by telling me she's older than I imagined her...not one for flattery methinks!

Either that or she's a cardigan-wearing, librarian type hiding behind a dominatrix-type name!!!
Tuesday 6 January 2004 10.23pm
Thanks everyone so far. I knew someone, somewhere would know. I'm sure, there is someone in SE1 who can answer any question, eg, when some journalist says that X millions of working days were lost last year due to people pretending to be ill, How do they know.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: