Alice Herz-Sommer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 February 2014 11.38pm
In 1989 i'm working on a building site in Belsize Park.

One day i'm walking back to site after lunch when an elderly lady asks me to help her with her bags so I oblige and walk her back to her flat,she says thanks,I tell her not to be so trusting (as you do) and that's that,until the next day she gets me again and same thing happens,this happens for a couple of weeks,the rest of the site finding it hilarious!
She had an accent and I always thought she was Jewish although thinking about it,if it was now I would probably just hear an Eastern European accent.
She really was lovely and I thought perhaps lonely (not so sure now).
I have absolutely no idea why this lady stuck in my memory but she did, really, every now and then i'd think of her, of course assuming that she would be long gone.
The other day i'm listening to world service and it's a report on the death of a holocaust survivor who said that music had saved her life, literally. I'm not thinking too much of it until the reporter says that she lived in North West London, straight away I thought of this woman and I have no idea why! I missed the name of this woman but kept it in the back of my mind to look up, which I just did, minutes ago.
It's only her!
First I find she was residing in Belsize Park and then see a photo of her!

I honestly went cold.

LOL I can't believe it and the Mrs is asleep, I had to share it.
Wednesday 26 February 2014 12.01pm
She was the most inspirational woman I ever knew. A monument to the power of positive thinking, love for humanity, charity towards all. May her memory be blessed as we Jews say.
Monday 3 March 2014 12.21pm
When you think of people like her Jackie and anyone from anywhere in the world at that time who endured sim ilar tragedy, it makes you feel so very humble and annoyed with ones self for moaning about the trivial things in life. May she know her creators love and blessing.
Monday 3 March 2014 2.50pm
Amen.
Monday 3 March 2014 6.33pm
"The Lady in Number 6," which on Sunday won the Academy Award for documentary short subject, tells the story of Alice Herz-Sommer, the centenarian Holocaust survivor whose devotion to classical piano helped her survive a Nazi concentration camp.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: