Relations, (The relative kind.)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 12 May 2014 12.03pm
I was in a bar last Friday night and I posed this question to the company;
What relationship, if any, is my brother-in-law's wife to me?
The overwhelming trend was to say that she is 'your sister-in-law.'
I disagreed, but was howled down.
Obviously I am not talking about my sister, whose husband is my brother-in-law.
I maintained that my wife's brother is definitely my brother-in-law, but that his wife, as much as I love her, and am glad that she is in my life, is not related to me, but is my brother-in-law's wife only.
Of course, she is my wife's sister-in-law, and it is very convenient for me to call her my sister-in-law too, for ease of definition, but I still maintain that technically, she and I are not related.
I've tried Googling this, and the majority of sites, Wiki, Ask Jeeves, etc. say that she is indeed my sister-in-law, but one or two say that my theory is the correct one.
Okay, in the grand scheme of things, this is not important, but I'm curious to read other posters opinions on it.
Monday 12 May 2014 11.12pm
She is your brother-in-law's wife, and that's it.
Tuesday 13 May 2014 7.41pm
So is my Uncles wife my Aunt?
Wednesday 14 May 2014 12.05am
boroughonian wrote:
So is my Uncles wife my Aunt?

Unless someone can irrefutably prove otherwise, I'd say yes she is.
I think that that has always been accepted in families.
It would be strange if as a child, you accepted your mother's brother
as your uncle, but called that uncle's wife your aunt-in-law.
Friday 16 May 2014 10.05am
My uncle is on his third wife, am I collecting Aunties or am I divorced from my Aunts as he is his wives?

I prefer the former to be true.
Saturday 17 May 2014 1.38am
boroughonian wrote:
My uncle is on his third wife, am I collecting Aunties or am I divorced from my Aunts as he is his wives?
I prefer the former to be true.

Nice thought boroughonian, but I'd say his present wife is your aunt, the other ladies would be your uncle's ex-wives, I've never heard of an ex-aunt.
By the same token, if you are collecting aunts, and wish to call them all aunt, then your uncle could be said to be collecting wives, and now has three.
Thursday 22 May 2014 5.03pm
what relation is your brother-in-laws sister to you?
I mean the sister of the man married to your sister.
he married your sister, so he's your brother-in-law, so is his sister your sister-in-law? he is your sisters sister-in-law, so maybe a sister­²-in-law?
Friday 23 May 2014 10.44pm
My first thought was that she is your sister-in-law too, but I realised that I wasn't thinking it through.
I was imagining a scenario where a man marries a woman who has three brothers, all three of the brothers become the man's brothers-in-law.
Any siblings of the man who married the woman with the three brothers, I think, are not related to the three brothers.
I'm not used to this, I'm going to lay down in a darkened room, and wait for the usual suspects to show me where I'm wrong in this.
Tuesday 3 June 2014 4.05pm
my wife always calls my brothers wife her sister-in-law - though technically she probably isn't.
Friday 13 June 2014 1.24pm
I just call them 'the family' that way my head don't hurt ever!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: