Not a dilemma as such...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 18 February 2004 10.25am
I was talking with my girlfriend the other day about how your perception of what is 'a lot of money' must change dependent on your earnings, background etc.

I've been earning for 6 years now, and I know that in the 'real world', 50 doesn't buy you much. However, I still think of 50 as a fair old amount.

I'd be interested to know what anyone thinks is 'a lot of money'...
Wednesday 18 February 2004 11.01am
50 of my own money doesn't seem a lot James, I agree with you. But if you were to give me the 50 in your pocket, then it'd be a great windfall.

I always think of the "how much do you take out of the cashpoint test" as a measure of how your attitude to cash changes. Over the years, I'm sure the amount I take out has grown at a rate well over inflation.

[could be all the cat food]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Wednesday 18 February 2004 12.12pm

50 is small change to me - the tip I would give a cocktail waiter or a taxi driver.

I am a bit concerned about this thread actually - I thought that I was mixing (albeit electronically) with a classier group of people...
Wednesday 18 February 2004 12.15pm
redbus - you skinflint!!!

Wednesday 18 February 2004 12.30pm
Everything's relative,
I was left a legacy a few years ago, not a great sum but I felt an enormous burden of responsibiity as to how I should spend it. I was also deeply aware that this represented somebody elses savings and would have been hard earned. Had it been my own money, I would probably have frittered it away (as usual).
Wednesday 18 February 2004 3.24pm

50 doesn't buy much cheese from Neal's Yard (so I am told by my batman who I send regularly to buy their excellent Stilton by the truckle)
Wednesday 18 February 2004 8.48pm
50.00 buys 28 pounds of broken biscuits, 15 pounds of lard and 5 pounds of boiled cabbage. Add in a few crusts of stale bread and the urchins are fed for the next two months.

Or pays one Southwark parking fine.

Take your pick.
Thursday 19 February 2004 10.16am
You've got no choice Sarah (as you tell us you keep gettgin fined).

It's chimneys or short rations for the kids. (Hopefully lack of energy will keep them away from bothering grown-ups over their capuccinos)

Thursday 19 February 2004 1.52pm
red bus A half Colston Bassett stilton (about eight and a half pounds weight) from Neal's Yard mail order costs 53 including postage, so I assume you can still pick one up for under 50 from the Borough Market shop.

Should you ask your batman for more regular accounts?

PS I do hope that you are indeed a retired/reserve army officer - it would be something of a faux pas to describe your civilian valet as a batman.
Thursday 19 February 2004 2.54pm

How true. In my opinion the lower orders are an untrustworthy lot generally and I would not be surprised that some of my pennies are going 'missing'.

So, I try and find comfort in a dissolute and wanton lifestyle of excess and abandon... and lovely cheese.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: