Hotels NOT in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 24 February 2004 5.07pm
Hi - I have the dread family visiting and am in search of a decent hotel in London for them to stay...

Price: Cheapish

Style/Comfort level: Daily Mail

Help!!!!
Tuesday 24 February 2004 7.15pm
Obviously, you should look for a rastafarian hotel for said dread family. Might have to try Brixton maybe.

(Joking aside, there was a thread on here a while back with suggestions of cheap places that were reasonably central but still near SE1. I remember thinking that youth hostels were not necessaarily for youths at all, rented individual rooms as well as beds in dorms, and were v cheap and often centralish. Otherwise you might have luck in business hotels at weekends when deals should be cheap. Is there anywhere cheaper than the travelodge or whatever it is in County Hall, for that matter?). Good luck.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 24 February 2004 7.42pm
Travelodge have some rooms on offer at 30.00, also, Premier Lodge (one of which is at the Anchor, Bankside) have some rooms for 22.00 until end of April.

The one at the County Hall is Travelinn.

They all have websites.

Last week we were booked into Travelodge, Edinburgh for 2 nights (and it was only costing 5.00 per room per night - extra special offer). However, there was a power cut, so they had to transfer us to the nearby Premier Lodge. I must say that standard there was very high - really wide bed, proper Shower Gel/Shampoo/Handwash supplied (as in Dove, Lux), decent hairdryer in every room, etc. It was newly built, which always helps, but the decor in the room made the poor Travelodge look a bit shabby.

I like those types of places because you know what you're getting, and (surprisingly enough!), I like to get value for money.

(I expect you are all laughing at my idea of proper Shower Gel - you are probably used to Clinique or Creme de la Mer stuff...)

Of course the nearer you are to the centre of London the more expensive the places get, but you can get really good deals in areas which are still very accessible by Tube etc.

Post edited (24 Feb 04 19:45)
Tuesday 24 February 2004 10.29pm

Many thanks to you both. I would love to put them in some Coldharbour Lane B&B !!!!
Tuesday 24 February 2004 10.42pm
I use Dove shower gel. Or "Triple Moisturising Body Wash" to give it it's proper name. And I like it because the smell reminds me of Lux, which we used when I was a child....
Wednesday 25 February 2004 8.30am
Tea tree shampoo/conditioner (interalia found in Body Shop) is supposed to deter nits. They don't like the taste apparently. So following TLMJJ logic, the next generation of Londoners will be weaned off Lux and Dove and have a strange antiseptic smell.

Have no idea if there is any scientific basis, but it does seem to work. Plus a chance to lower the tone of yet another thread.
Wednesday 25 February 2004 9.11am
I don't think mentioning nits lowers the tone - as a parent I am only too aware of how important is to deter the little nuisances (nits, and possibly children also). If you get a choice as to what you'd like to come back as in another life, I reckon it'd be wise to opt for something like a nit - they seem to have developed great self-preservation techniques.

I quite like the smell a drop of Savlon/Dettol in a bath! It reminds me of very rare relaxing moments in the days following childbirth!
Thursday 26 February 2004 1.14pm
is there a y.m.c.a at rotherhithe?

jan
Thursday 26 February 2004 8.14pm
This blooming thread has had a profound effect on my plans for the summer! After mention that Premier Lodge has a website, I checked it out myself, and saw that they were offering 50.00 rooms in King's Cross (o.k., it's not built yet, but sure what the heck!) for July and August.

So I've just booked 4 nights there for me & daughters (in July, rather than our usual August). I have also booked Aer Lingus flights, as Heathrow is nearer than Stansted (sad I'm not staying with Ryanair - they'll probably have a free offer by then!). I feel weird that we wont be staying in County Hall (as we have 3 times), or at Docklands. I was looking at Premier Lodge, Barking, also, but decided on King's Cross. It just doesn't feel right, not to be 'sarf' of the river...

Sadly, Premier Lodge at the Anchor proved too expensive..

Post edited (26 Feb 04 20:15)
Thursday 26 February 2004 10.51pm
Diedre, I would hate to rain on your parade but thought I would give a friendly word of warning,I work literally around the corner fom the new Premier lodge,I admit it is unfinished and so hard to tell what the finished article will be like,however it is directly opposite the side entrance of the Station as you go to head up York Way. Not only are there a fair few noisy bus stands right there, there is also a great deal of construction going on at the station itself. Add to this the massive Channel Tunnel Rail Link site it is, at the momment a pretty noisy and unpleasant place! I don't know how old the children are but unless you intend to spend most of your time out it may be disappointing.It doesn't look like the rail work will be finished as CTRL have applied to work on a 24 hour basis as they are behind,I don't think this has been granted as yet but you never know. As I said I don't want to appear negative and I'm sure the area will be fantastic when it is finished but it is a bit of a mess at the momment. I have seen your posts from time to time and you seem to enjoy your trips to London a lot, so I felt compelled to warn you. Hope I am not sued by raging Premier Lodge people but am cynical enough to think they may not warn you, hope you have a good trip whatever you decide and feel free to post closer to the time for an update.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: