Disturbing Thought

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 27 February 2004 1.43pm
Apparently the Financial Times recently reported plans by Greggs the Bakers to expand into Europe. Now each time I pass a branch, instead of being tempted by an iced finger or one of those fake cream doughnuts with that nice squirt of red sauce, I find myself considering:

- which countries are they going to target;
- which of their products do they think will succeed 'in Europe'
- the likely reaction in France or Germany when people discover their local boulangerie or konditorei has been replaced by Greggs.

Any thoughts?
Friday 27 February 2004 1.55pm
The glazed doughnuts?

Friday 27 February 2004 2.16pm
The "yummy" sausage rolls perhaps?
Friday 27 February 2004 2.45pm
Making me feel hungry.....
Friday 27 February 2004 2.45pm
4 for ú1.05 - you cannot go wrong (jam doughnuts). Ideal breakfast at your desk I find.
Friday 27 February 2004 4.41pm
all 4 mapmaker??!!
Friday 27 February 2004 4.42pm
For 1.05 or for breakfast?
Friday 27 February 2004 6.17pm
I suspect there is a market for Greggs sort of thing in some corners of Germany with a remaining lumpenpoletariat - and from sight of holidaying Germans in Turkey, they are not exclusively from the former DDR!

IMO the average konditorei is pricey - and therefore generally confined to a more spie├čb├╝rgerlich Klientel.
Saturday 28 February 2004 9.05am
Some corners perhaps, although in my experience the quality of goods available in most German bakeries is far superior to that offered by Greggs. Perhaps the former eastern bloc countries might go for that stuff?
Saturday 28 February 2004 9.43am
The German 'lumpenproleteriat' probably prefers things that are essentially German, whilst Greggs is quintessentially British. (The sugar hits and the callerie content probably justifies the word lumpen, though proleteriat is a bit seventies for me.) They sell the sort of treats I grew up on in my Surrey suburban childhood, and so they still tempt. But not something I often buy for me or my own kids or something that I would expect to seized on by 'continentals' or event the emerging economies to the east.

But I do like the idea that democracy and development brings with it the Greggs product range.

Pommes mit mayo, bratwurst mit senf. Ahhhhh
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: