Your liberal is my Hitler

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Thursday 11 March 2004 8.32pm
I find it remarkable that nobody questions the institute of 'marriage' why marry? Rather old fashioned, bourgeois and not necessary anymore. Even gays want it these days, now that is a step backwards in emancipation!
Thursday 11 March 2004 10.06pm
"Even gays want it these days"
Well most actually don't . just the same rights. Which is a very different thing, you will find it is the press which have labelled it as a desire for marriage.
I think your right Maurits the institution of marriage as I know it ie: Looking at my parents and older relatives and friends is long gone.
same as most things nowadays easy come easy go.
Friday 12 March 2004 8.54am
Hehe...don't start me - it took me long enough to persuade myself that getting married isn't old-fashioned and a ludicrous waste of money...
rm
Friday 12 March 2004 8.59am
I've been in a relationship for over 4 years and we are happy living together etc - doing the 'modern thing'... BUT I still think that marriage is important and we are planning to get married. Its about wanting to make a life long commitment to someone that you love. I don't want my relationship to be "easy come easy go". Its that easiness that given marriage the reputation that it has now - not everyone who gets married divorces 18 months later!
Friday 12 March 2004 9.24am
I agree with you rm and my objection to marriage is not an objection against the values about relationships. I share yours, but do not need marriage for that.

Mart, you are right in that gays want the equal rights, and so should we. But that does not necessarily mean that we need marriage to be accessible for gays, but we need the 'same protection and rights as if we were married'

France has this solution with the PACS. Remarkable is the fact that more straight couples actually use this facility than gay couples, for whom it was originally designed.
Friday 12 March 2004 9.31pm
Mind you not having equal rights can sometimes be an assett, especially when my bloke run off leaving huge debts, as at least i wasn't responsible for em
Friday 19 March 2004 9.58pm
Here is a real life case study in Faith Morals. Mr X was born a Catholic.

He married his childhood sweetheart at a Catholic Marriage. He divorced after 10 years. He then met and married another woman.

THEN, he became more religious, becoming "traditionally" Catholic.

DILEMMA. In Catholic terms he was not married to his second wife.

SOLUTION. He applied and got an annulment to the first marriage. so he was free to remarry his second wife, this time as a Catholic.

He believes that a Mortal sin is committed if he

Looks with lust at a woman.
Has sex of any sort where procreation is not the goal
(that includes errmm, well guess)
Misses Mass on Sunday.

We spend around an hour a week debating these issues. I argue with him that he has no "grey" in his life because he is a very "black and white" person.

I almost envy him his certainty. He is never troubled by the liberal issues that you (and me) grapple with. There is Church Law. He follows it. That's it. If he had not got his annulment I am certain he would have accepted that and broken up with his wife!

So, he would justifiably say....you choose your game and follow those rules

But I would say...you choose your game and follow the * spirit * of the rules.

And to finish,
Brother and Sisters
Let us all Sing Psalm 118
"Ivanhoe is my Shepherd"

Kevin
Saturday 20 March 2004 12.18pm
Kevin.

Never had you down as such a sheepish individual
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network