Blues/Jazz cafes in london

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
rm
Monday 22 March 2004 9.28am
can anyone recommend a blues/jazz club or cafe in london?
hat
Monday 22 March 2004 11.38am
There is a very funny one in Kingly St, parallel to Regent St, I think it's called the Blues Bar. Long thin corridor/bar that opens into a tiny room, with small stage and seating at the end. Loud, trad blues, beer that is cheaper than the surrounding hostelries and they're open til about 1 or 2. You have to pay after 9pm, but it's not much. I've had many a happy drunken night there...watch out for the steep stairs down to the loo though!
Hat
Monday 22 March 2004 12.13pm
Jazz Live at St Giles Church in Camberwell - cheap bar, cheap food and great venue in the crypt of the church and if you're lucky some fantastic jazz. Gets pretty full (of local students), entrance is 6, I think, and its open 'till after midnight. Unlike the Blues Bar, the prices at the bar don't go up after 9pm.
Monday 22 March 2004 1.29pm
Soho is good for Jazz with Ronnie Scott's on Frith Street and the Pizza Express Jazz Club on Dean Street.

Slightly more authentic is the 606 Club in Lots Road, Chelsea. The 606 also has a spin-off 606 Bar slightly nearer to home - on the other side of Blackfriars Bridge in the Crowne Plaza hotel.

Despite the cheesy sales exec linkings of the hotel, the design in the bar is quite smart.
Monday 22 March 2004 1.50pm

The Troubodour (think that's how you spell it) on Brompton Road in Earls Court is good.
A bit out of the way ( it wasn't for me when I lived West though) - it's a really atmospheric little place with good food and a club bit downstairs that has Jazz, blues and other music.
Apparently Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan all started off there in th 60's

http://www.troubadour.co.uk/
Monday 22 March 2004 2.23pm
I could tell you had West London in you somewhere....
Monday 22 March 2004 10.37pm

Does anyone remember the blues club that was on the top floor of the office building opposite the Globe?
Monday 22 March 2004 10.54pm
In 1999 I entered a competition in the Evening Standard for tickets to the Bang & Olufsen's Duke Ellington tribute at the Jazz Cafe.
I also received an event poster autographed by Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen and Mulgrew Miller.
It's been in it's tube for 5 years as it's about 4ft by 5ft. I wonder if it's worth putting on Ebay. Are Niels and Mugrew still alive?
Monday 22 March 2004 11.11pm
Phoney, d'you win everything you enter? I seem to remember you won a photo competition.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 9.41am
Archduke under arches at back of RFH.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: