Sailing at Westminster Boating Base?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Monday 22 March 2004 3.08pm
Has anyone been here (not quite SE1, but near enough for me)?

I've just found out about it and it seems great value (at 300 for an RYA level 1 and 2 dinghy course over three weekends). I called up a couple of times and spoke to two friendly people and intend to send the cheque off tomorrow (taking a risk, I know, but it's not SE1 so maybe there's a 50/50 chance of cheques getting through).

Just wondered whether any of our messageboarders were at all nautical and had any comments about the place. Any such, most welcome.

Post edited (22 Mar 04 15:08)

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 22 March 2004 3.11pm
I know someone who does a lot of canoeing at the Westminster Boating Base - never been there myself, but it's a good place as far as I know.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 22 March 2004 3.43pm
I used to go canoeing in Wapping at shadwell basin.. They also sailed there as well.

Post edited (22 Mar 04 15:45)
Monday 22 March 2004 5.12pm
Cheers James and Alan.

(I thought about the Shadwell place, but W'minster was nearer, and there was a certain romance about sailing on the river. Mind you, that was before we went for a walk along the embankment yesterday in the howling winds! Shadwell begins to sound better and better.)

(On a totally unrelated note, but maybe of interest to you Alan, I went back to Herefordshire for the traditional "throw money at the bookies Festival" at Cheltenham last week. Forgotten how fantastic it is to be in a pub with a CHOICE of nice ciders. Think the barmen knew I was from out of town when they saw me drooling at the pumps, almost speechless with choice. Soon remembered that there was no rush and so I could have a pint of each one. Also have great respect for the New Forest cider man in Borough market. I knew it must be good when I saw one of the awfully-awfully Wandsworth mum brigade trying to discreetly tip her half pint away with a shocked look on her perma-tanned face, but it proved to be better than good, and very fast-working. Mrs I said she started feeling pretty cidered half way down her first glass - and I don't think that was due to slow drinking).

Monday 22 March 2004 6.36pm
"Cider was, next to water, the most abundant and the cheapest fluid to be had in New Hampshire, while i lived there, -- often selling for a dollar per barrel. In many a family of six or eight persons, a barrel tapped on Saturday barely lasted a full week.....The transition from cider to warmer and more potent stimulants was easy and natural; so that whole families died drunkards and vagabond paupers from the impetus first given by cider-swilling in their rural homes....."
Horace Greeley (1811-1872)

.....Let that be a lesson to us all. I'm glad you had a good trip to the races. I'll have to go to Borough Market on Saturday and investigate.
Monday 22 March 2004 8.25pm

I went to the WBB once for a party, they have a great clubhouse out over the river in a fantastic location. They're a charity I believe and do loads of stuff with kids. Talked to some of the people there - very impressed. I thought of doing the RYA there myself as I've started to get into a bit of sailing, but never got round to it - perhaps I should join you? When is the course or do they have several?

You used to be able to do sailing training at Surrey docks, but I'd go for WBB or Shadwell myself. I've seen the guys from Shadwell out on the river too so I dont think they stay in the basin. I would have thought that being out on the Thames would be pretty dangerous until you were fairly confident - fast tide and big boats.
Monday 22 March 2004 10.36pm

I can sail and I recommend it to anyone who even vaguely is thinking of dipping a toe (so to speak) - *fantastic* the best hangover sure in the world.

I haven't been on a dinghy since coming to London, and I could be tempted by this. I didn't know there was anything like it.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 10.14am
I'm going on a three-consecutive-weekend course, starting on April 24/25th JoJo.

Details are on the website ( or similar).

??See you there???

Tuesday 23 March 2004 3.59pm
Thanks Ivan, I looked at the site last night and am thinking of signing up for the women's course (oops, given away my gender there) on Wednesdays in April/may.

And thanks for the amendment - my postie reads this site but he may not have progressed beyond the postal campaign bits. He probably does spend too much time delivering my mail - partly because you have to hack your way through the balcony jungle to reach the letterbox, and partly because I'm a terrible chatterbox and he's not unloquacious himself either.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 3.59pm

might well do - will check them out. ta. if i am going fopr definite I will post here.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: