Let them eat cider

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Wednesday 24 March 2004 2.40pm
.........and noted that among the poorer inhabitants of Gloucester and Hereford, who drank weak cider and were not subject to colic "it was not uncommon ... to meet deplorable objects , with their hands dangling, and, who by such imbecility, are distinguished by the appellation of the danglers".
- Plymouth Surgeon, Francis Geach c.1767
Now, everyone knows me to be a deplorable object and my imbecility is a matter of record, but stiil it pains me to find that we missed the London Beer And Cider Festival - it was last week! So maybe it's time to start thinking about another cider evening? Perhaps we could discuss: sailing, house buying, sandcastles and the appellation of our danglers.
Thursday 25 March 2004 7.29am
Enjoyed the last one, so keen to attend the next. But am away next week.
Thursday 25 March 2004 1.41pm
Perhaps we can get together after Easter.
I'm due a trip to Stanley Towers, my vast estate between the Severn and the Wye, and it has only just occurred to me that this year's apple production from my enormous orchard (one Bramley, one Worcester and a pear tree of unknown variety) might go towards cider making, rather than filling my freezer with apple sauce and donations to the local pub's harvest festival. I know the autumn is some way off, but I shall investigate (I'll have to locate a press for a start) If this is successful, maybe we can share a glass later in the year. Any cider making tips gratefully received.
Thursday 25 March 2004 7.29pm
I saw a clip on telly about some old geezers, in Dorset I think, who had a great thing going - a local cider society. Every year they clubbed together all their apples and equipment and did all the pressing and other work as a social, communal thing, then of course there was the drinking part of it. It looked like great fun. Brewing is always a lot of work and a lot of faffing around, but this sounded like the brewing was almost as much fun as consuming the result. We live in the wrong part of the country of course, but theres always loads of windfalls on offer in Autumn from anyone with apple trees who's too lazy to do preserving. Anyone fancy a go? Get us a press Alan, and we'll get started. I'm sure Ivanhoe will be in.
Thursday 25 March 2004 7.46pm
I remember that....who was it who got drunk with them, was it Keith Floyd? Where we're going to find a cider press in London, I've got no idea, but I'll give it a go. Come the time I shall bring my vast harvest up from the Forest - it'll probably fit in a couple of carrier bags.
Thursday 25 March 2004 8.05pm
I couldn't remember whether it was that Hugh Fearlessly-EatItAll or a Countryfile video diary.

Dont be so negative about the cider press - where's your sense of confidence? We've got months to find one. This forum's so good, I expect sooner or later someone will come up with a sad and lonely fruit press looking for a happy home. Especially if they get to join in the merry procedings.

As for the apples - we could go scrumping. I dont think we should give up these things just cos we live in the city.
Thursday 25 March 2004 8.12pm
Huge Fair-Near-Took-It-All, it was.
Thursday 25 March 2004 8.23pm
Shall we invite him and ask him for cider-making tips?
Thursday 25 March 2004 8.27pm
why not?
Friday 26 March 2004 12.19am
My dad made a cider press years ago. I can't remember what the resulting brew was like, though.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: