Sauerkraut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 9 November 2014 1.19pm
I have to spread the word, where has this stuff been all my life?
I'm not talking about the shop bought stuff which has been pasteurised and so the healthy bacteria has been eliminated, home made is so easy peasy. All you need is cabbage, bit of salt and elbow grease, oh and containers.
My friend got me into this and I am now completely addicted, I have been eating a bit a day, in a sandwich, for about a fortnight and I feel so good.
It's so good for you and so cheap and easy to make, it's ridiculous! The hardest thing is waiting for the ferment to complete, but even that is up to you ie: how you like it, could be a week could be four.
I wont go into detail but my digestive system has improved 400% and feel overall much better.
Have a read online on the benefits of Sauerkraut.
I now have a kitchen full of fermenting cabbage in jars.

Guten tag.
Monday 10 November 2014 9.49am
That sounds good, any particular variety of cabbage Borughian? I tried the stuff already made and assumed you would mix it with other stuff to make it edible!
Monday 10 November 2014 12.21pm
Any cabbage Jan, I even mixed up a few different ones to make my sauerkraut.
In fact any veg really, broccoli, asparagus, cauli',chillies, garlic, you can basically ferment everything.
I don't want to go over the top, but I read that sauerkraut is quite possibly the healthiest thing a person can eat, some of the claims I have read would seem a bit outlandish, but I'm beginning to feel the benefits myself.

Jan, I don't sit with a fork and eat out of the jar, although some do, but use it as a condiment, it's a lovely accompaniment to ham, tuna, burgers etc and the home made stuff is miles tastier than the shop bought, although I learned yesterday that you can buy unpasteurised but it's more expensive.
Tuesday 11 November 2014 5.09am
I read that sauerkraut is quite possibly the healthiest thing a person can eat, some of the claims I have read would seem a bit outlandish, but I'm beginning to feel the benefits myself...!!!
Tuesday 11 November 2014 11.51am
tazy wrote:
I read that sauerkraut is quite possibly the healthiest thing a person can eat, some of the claims I have read would seem a bit outlandish, but I'm beginning to feel the benefits myself...!!!

You too huh?
Friday 14 November 2014 7.49pm
I hardly ever look in the chatter section but I did yesterday and was persuaded to try proper sauerkraut (I've had the supermarket ones). I bought some of the unpasteurized stuff from Planet Organic today.
This one.
I do have one question though. Is it supposed to smell like fart?
Friday 14 November 2014 8.52pm
Beetroot, yes, similar to a pickled onion jar type smell.
I think it's because it's still fermenting, so gas will build up in the jar, I find once the jars been opened the smell is a lot easier to take.

Your own would be better though.
Friday 14 November 2014 9.07pm
Thanks, boroughonian. At least I know there's not something wrong with it. It does smell a lot worse than a pickled onion jar, though. People were expressing their disgust from a few metres away!
Saturday 15 November 2014 11.49am
But cabbage cooking isn't the nicest smell ( I'm on the defensive), I promise, home made is better, still pongs a bit though.
I bought a new jar, so today I am making a carrot and ginger ferment.
You know your getting old when ....

I have just had a sausage and kraut sandwich with a dash of mustard, amazing.
Thursday 11 December 2014 10.45am
My new fad is beet kvass, well, I haven't actually tasted it yet, it's still fermenting, another miracle from Eastern Europe, supposed to be so good for you.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: