??Good place for quick lunch v near Victoria stn??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 1 April 2004 10.07am
I'm meeting an old friend for lunch today. He's in transit and so only has a quick couple of hours. He has to get to and from Gatwick, so we're meeting at the Gatwick Express platforms in Victoria.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could recommend somewhere for lunch.

The nearer to Victoria the better. Quality of lunch is entirely secondary to how near it is to the station (and hence the length of time we have for catching up). Pub with crisps would do, as long as it was nearby.

Post edited (01 Apr 04 11:17)

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
rm
Thursday 1 April 2004 10.19am
there are loads fo pizza places etc just outside the station.

I think there is a pub actually inside the station....
Thursday 1 April 2004 10.20am
What about Chimes?
Jon
Thursday 1 April 2004 10.24am
There is a very post place just near Victoria, come out of the station and turn left, and it's up some stairs on the left, before the main road, I think it's called Christophers - expensive though, I think it's part of the hotel.
I saw Chris Eubank in there once.
Thursday 1 April 2004 10.28am
The Wetherspoons on Victoria station does their standard chill-cooked menu at lunchtime. Most of the pubs immediately around the station are completely soulless.

For a better experience, the Cardinal behind the RC Cathedral is a Sam Smith's pub with good food. TheCoach and Horses is a bit more of a stroll, but also rated.

There are some other good ones going west from Victoria, but they are very "Belgravia"

Thursday 1 April 2004 10.37am
Thanks everyone. Off to lunch now.

rm
Thursday 1 April 2004 2.41pm
did you find somewhere?
Friday 2 April 2004 7.34am
Friend only had a couple of hours, and cases to carry, so we just went out of the station and straight over the road (The Shakepspeare?) to the biggish pub there.

It was a pub. It served some innoffensive food, and unspectacular beer. Staff pleasant. Plenty of tables free. About as much as you could expect, and a decent (in the sense of easy-to-find) pub to use as a meeting place for a quick one, but nothing to specifically go back for.

But all that was insignificant, because we had a really good catch up and it was great to see my friend.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: