can anyone tell me if.....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 1 April 2004 2.01pm
Texted is correct grammar...I keep hearing people say they 'have texted' someone and it grates....so am I just stupid as well as mature...cheeselike even!

jan
rm
Thursday 1 April 2004 2.31pm
I was under the impression that 'text' is the correct version.

So.....

"I was writing a text" AND "I text someone"

It's one of those funny English words where the singular and plural are the same...

(I'm quite happy to admit that I could be wrong though!!)
Thursday 1 April 2004 2.58pm
I thought that too - I tried looking 'texted' up in various dictionaries and there's no definition. On the other hand, some of them imply that the act of 'texting' is to give someone some text - so 'I text her', but never 'I texted her'.

Besides, the word 'texted' doesn't roll off the tongue in quite the same way...
Thursday 1 April 2004 3.07pm
Thank you for that.....standing in the lift at work this morning all these young lads were using this term..it drives me bonkers...

jan
Thursday 1 April 2004 3.15pm
Given that text messaging is such a new phenomenon, I'm not surprised that the language associated with it hasn't yet made it into the dictionaries.

In general, I deplore sloppy English, and don't agree with the argument that is often trotted out that the use of words such as "alright" and "alot" is acceptable as it is a result of the language evolving (rather than ignorance of the correct terms).

However, in this case I do think the language is evolving to describe a new mode of communication which simply didn't exist a few years ago.

So, I don't mind people saying they texted someone as I think it follows the same logic as saying you e-mailed someone or faxed someone. Of course, you could say you sent someone an e-mail, etc., but that's too pedantic, even for me.

Post edited (01 Apr 04 16:16)
Thursday 1 April 2004 3.27pm
Thus further promotes the librarian image of TLMJJ... :)

Only joking...I love the English language too. In fact some people get a bit funny with me 'cos I enjoy being wordy. I met a lady author once when I was working in recruitment...she spoke like good authors write, and it was really attractive.

Or am I just weird?
Thursday 1 April 2004 3.28pm
Texted might sound odd, but it is correct. Consider hunt: I hunt, I hunted.

Ignorance is bliss
Thursday 1 April 2004 3.53pm
I wrote...I writ...I forgot....I have just used up my last remaining brain cell... :-)

jan
Friday 2 April 2004 7.47am
FWIW, I'd go strongly with the theory that if you accept that "text" can be used as a verb that takes an object (e.g. "I am will text you later") then it is VERY likely to follow that the past tense of that verb is "texted" (e.g. "Did you get those details? I texted them to you last night.")

I think that (given what a new word it is), it is very unlikely that the past tense of the verb to text has an irregular ending (based on an assertion that irregular endings are there either because the verb in question is from an old irregular root - e.g. Latin irregular verbs where the past participle takes a v different form that the present tense - or that it had been in use in our language for a very long time - i.e. long enough for the past tense to have been adapted to become irregular through use and/or dialect). This leads me to back the theory that, if you accept "text" as a verb, then it's past tense should be "texted".

I'm a bit old-fashioned though, and really I don't want to accept that "text" should be a verb anyway, in any tense.

Post edited (02 Apr 04 09:10)

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 2 April 2004 8.53am
Modern day madness... Whoever thought that 'Jedi' would become one of the country's largest followed religions either...?

The information and technology world also has a number of new entries to the dictionary, including 'meatspace' (physical world, as opposed to virtual), 'screenager' (Internet or computer addicted teenager) and 'sticky' (website attracting long or repeated visits from users).

More unusual words that have warranted a place include 'gaydar' (ability of one gay person to recognise another) and 'lookism' (discrimination on the grounds of how a person looks and the clothes they wear).

'Texted' suddenly starts to look and sound quite normal!!

Bien joué...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: