old laptop old PC upgrade?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 18 February 2015 10.50am
I have an old laptop (about 10 years old maybe), and an old desktop machine (maybe a few years younger), both running XP.

Is it worth me trying to install a free OS (like a version of Linux or something similar), to replace XP, or is this a false economy, and should I just buy a brand new machine?

any ideas welcome
Monday 8 June 2015 4.21pm
Best to buy a new machine. Old pc's cannot run many recent programs.
Saturday 13 June 2015 6.26pm
It's not a false economy to wipe and install Linux. There are many flavours and you'll find an operating system that will run quite happily on older equipment. Don't forget your anti virus though-Sophos now let you install their Linux version free (personal use)

Installing Linux is a very good way to learn about your hardware and the drivers needed to get everything working.

I'd go for the laptop first, purely because it's more portable.
Friday 4 September 2015 9.58am
I'm no expert but you may want to buy a new machine. With the old machine you will have problems running new software, like -paulse1- said.
Monday 16 November 2015 3.43pm
I guess it depends what you do with your computer. If all you do is browsing the web then installing a suitable version of Linux should work. The only downside I can think of is that a few websites (e.g. Blinkbox) based on old Microsoft technologies don't work with Linux.

Post the exact spec of your PC on a Linux forum and people will tell you what the best distribution/version of Linux you should install.
Tuesday 24 November 2015 1.19pm
well this is an old thread, since I originally posted I backed up the laptop and got it re-imaged as Linux (don't know which version though), and I've used it precisely once, the day I got it home, I played a few of the installed games, I set up the broadband connection, and then struggled with getting anywhere else.

With the desktop machine, I had to sort out my old webshots account and download to my machine all 21,000 photo's so that I could close the account and actually access the photographs - there actually wasn't room on the old machine to do this, so I backed everything up onto an external hard drive, and then purchased a new machine (Lenovo), running Win7 - probably one of the cheaper options in Currys/PCWorld - didn't realise that it wasn't an all in one, so it didn't come with internal speakers (?!) - that's now sorted. The photo's downloaded ok over a 24 hour period (luckily we'd just changed our provider to unlimited BT Fibre broadband, so no extra charges for the huge spike in data).

all good now - thanks for the replies.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: