building a computer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 11 April 2004 10.48am
I have recently beenn brave (stupid?) enough to build my daughter a computer from scratch. However, everything is working well apart from the CDRW drive. Thinking it was a faulty part, I replaced the drive. At first it would not recognise the drive. I then realised I had set it as a slave. After changing the relevant connections, it now crashes each time I turn it on. QUESTION? Does anyone have any idea what I have done wrong, or is there a local computer shop in the SE1 area who would not charge me the price of a new PC to put it right. Thanks from a desperate man.

Post edited (14 Apr 04 11:20)
Tuesday 13 April 2004 5.28pm
Hi John,

I'm no computer expert, but my husband eats, sleeps, and breathes them and has offered the following tips:

1. Unplug the new CDRW and cable from the motherboard and boot up the machine. If this boots okay, there is a problem with either the drive (unlikely as it's new), the cable, or the motherboard IDE interface (could be damaged). In which case you may need a new motherboard (again this is unlikely but possible).

2. If you are running the CDRW and the hard drive on the same cable (presuming the computer boots after removal of drive from step 1) try disconnecting it from the hard drive and using another IDE cable. Once you have a second IDE cable, connect it to the secondary IDE port on the motherboard (there should always be 2 IDE ports) and set the CDRW to MASTER.

Hope this works! If not, please let us know and we'll refer you to our friend who builds, maintains, and services machines.

Friday 16 April 2004 10.00am
thanks very much. I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: