Ciderdelica

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 19
Tuesday 13 April 2004 10.56am
‘Huge and squat, the jar lay on the grass like an unexploded bomb. We lifted it up, unscrewed the stopper, and smelt the whiff of fermented apples. I held the jar to my mouth and rolled my eyes sideways, like a beast at a water hole. ‘Go on,' said Rosie. I took a deep breath .....

Never to be forgotten, that first long secret drink of golden fire, juice of those valleys and of that time, wine of wold orchards, of russet summer, of plump red apples, and again Rosie's burning cheeks. Never to be forgotten, or ever tasted again....'
- Laurie Lee

Hello all, I trust you're refreshed after the Easter break, and speaking of refreshment, is it not time for the the cider minded to meet again? What about that pub on Tower Bridge road (The Bridge House??) They do Stowford don't they? Although I'm very happy to go to the Oak again.
I got a reply from a (lovely) lady on the cider and perry commitee at CAMRA, regarding a press in London. She didn't know of one, but suggested we keep an eye on eBay. It would be great to see the people who came last time, but it would be even nicer if a few more attended, everybody is welcome.
Tuesday 13 April 2004 11.20am

thanks for the invite - i haven't been following your (often very detailed) cider discussions... am a stout drinker by birth who has recently moved to drinking some English bitter (with varying results). I would be happy to try cider (not since the White Lightning days of my youth), but... is it really any good?
Tuesday 13 April 2004 11.34am
It's not as good as the fabulous Severnsider cider that I tried last week, but it's a lot better than White Lightning. Yes, it is good.
Tuesday 13 April 2004 1.06pm
And the company's even better.
Tuesday 13 April 2004 3.10pm

is it all sweet (cider not company) ??
Tuesday 13 April 2004 3.44pm
Not particularly sweet - dry to medium.
Tuesday 13 April 2004 6.01pm
Well aged?
Tuesday 13 April 2004 6.03pm
Me or the cider?
Monday 19 April 2004 11.13am
Back from hols and ready for cider.

Bridge House is a great idea (not Stowford - can't remember the name. It's from somewhere in Sth England, but it's more of a Frenchy-type taste; lightly sparkling and probably med-dry. Maybe more of "a woman's cider, my lord" but worth a few pints for comparison.)

Give me a day or two to get my body clock adjusted, and any time that suits will be good for me (will even be in SE1 and thirsty each of the next three weekends as synchronised dinghy sinking course starts this Sat).

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 19 April 2004 11.28am
Good holiday? I'm around until 1st May, and then back to Stanley Towers for a few days, what's everybody else up to?
I've also been watching some cider presses on e-Bay. One looked great but was a little "industrial." There's an old one on there at the moment, but too expensive. I go past a garden that has a mangle sitting in it, to great ornamental effect, every day - perhaps we could sneak in there and use it?

Post edited (19 Apr 04 11:47)
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 19

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: