Laptop help

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 6 May 2004 9.18am
I know people have responded to a similar topic before, but no amount of searching has led me to the relevant thread.

Does anyone know of someone who can clean things off a laptop that is protected and allow for new applications to be installed?

Thursday 6 May 2004 10.01am
if it's protected, then the people who put the protection on, ie work IT dept, would be able to clean off unwanted stuff.

same goes for adding new applications.....

unless of course you don't want these people to know! ;-)

in which case it's a bit tricky, and someone who has a clue should be able to tell you (not me though - I don't know).
Thursday 6 May 2004 12.16pm
You need to give more details Katy; how is the stuff protected? What messages do you get if you try and delete the stuff yourself? Is it your laptop of from your work?

Thursday 6 May 2004 1.22pm
Not my laptop from work. Know someone who has 2 laptops from work and wants to clear the work stuff off one and then be able to add things like aol to it. Shall find out more now.
Thursday 6 May 2004 1.50pm
Twelve pound lump hammer should do it..........
Thursday 6 May 2004 1.56pm
Apparently a new operating system needs to be installed and the current one removed. Apparently there is a block on the current one which prevents you adding new software.

GOOse - like the suggestions - not sure he will though
Thursday 6 May 2004 2.55pm

I'd say you should err on the side of caution - you should 'fdisk' the hard drive (which will completely wipe it), and then if you can get your hand son a copy of any Windows (XP is easiest to work with), you can install it. Then you can add anything you want.

What I would say though, is that AOL install all sorts you don't know about on your PC, so if you already have an AOL account, it may be worth finding out the connection details and manually configuring it, rather than installing their bespoke software...
Thursday 6 May 2004 4.16pm
I'd say 'fdisk-ing' the drive is a bit drastic James and should only be done if you have a fair bit of experience. Katy - you need to get your friend to check out whether their work will be happy with you taking stuff off and putting other stuff on. Whatever, reply to this thread with the extra info and we can take it from there!
Thursday 6 May 2004 4.29pm
Drastic I know, but it is easy with instructions and it is the best way to get a clean start - no?

I'm reading this as a 'my friend has two work laptops which are about to become 1 work laptop and 1 personal laptop' which case, clearing the work stuff from it in the most direct route is probably sensible I thought...
Wednesday 12 May 2004 8.58am

Is your friend willing to pay to have this done? I can get this sorted for you but it will take a fair bit of work to do it properly - it's a day's work to clean two laptops, re-format, load and configure the new o/s and applications correctly, set up virus protection etc.

Also - would need to know model details/ specification of the laptops. (I'm guessing they are old, work ones so will probably not run XP?)

I'm guessing that your friend 'borrowed' these from work and wants to use them from home, without letting her work know (wink, wink........)

I'm happy to do this or get someone to do it for you - can you have them mail me
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: