Facebook scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 14 September 2015 12.55pm
Just been done up like a kipper by Stemologica. Saw ad in FB for skin cream samples under a banner showing Clinique and Clarins products. Completed questionnaire and sent off £3.99 for postage. Belatedly Googled Stemologica only to discover they weren't free samples and would be charged for at around £80.. and worse, when I cancelled my card, that a CPA had been set up on my account. The had only taken two payments of £1.95 and£3.95 under the name of Stemoderma. So far there has only been one delivery attempt while I was out but I have mailed and cancelled the contract and they are still mailing me suggesting I try the product for a 'reduced price'. OK so I shouldn't have been fooled but have since heard from people in Canada , USA and UK who have inadvertently opened the product before noticing large sums being removed from their bank accounts. Anyone else had problems?
Tuesday 15 September 2015 11.14am
Thank you for that Chavender, have shared on Facebook. My daughters and her friends will now be aware...thieving Devils these companies ..xx
Tuesday 15 September 2015 11.15pm
Jan the Canadian woman lost $350 on her card as she did not realise what had happened until the second 'sample' had arrived.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 12.14pm
Forgot to ask Chavender, whats a CPA?
Wednesday 16 September 2015 3.58pm
I think it is Continous Payment Authority. I think lots of companies like mag subscriptions do these which means the bank keep paying every time they demand the money. That is why it is important to get things cancelled properly by notifying the company by letter and your bank. I have had membership prescriptions keep going on despite my cancelling them because the company kind of forgets to cancel. Nightmare. You live and learn.
Thursday 17 September 2015 3.59pm
It's like a direct debit, but instead of on your bank account it's taken on a debit or credit card. The bank does have an obligation to cancel it once you have told them to do so, but as always, best to get this doen in writing and get them to confirm in writing.

See here: http://moneyfacts.co.uk/guides/banking/what-is-a-continuous-payment-authority/
Thursday 17 September 2015 7.00pm
My Lord I never knew that, how worrying this modern method of paying for things has become :-( campaign to bring back cheques I think! x
Friday 18 September 2015 8.43am
Jan the old one wrote:
My Lord I never knew that, how worrying this modern method of paying for things has become :-( campaign to bring back cheques I think! x

Horses for courses methinks ;o) Personally I have not yet ever been able to write a cheque in one go. Half of the ones in my chequebook used to be spoiled so I'd opt for the online option. Just be extra careful!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: