furniture to a good cause?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 19 May 2004 2.13pm
I need to dispose of some perfectly serviceable bits of furniture [a futon bed and a couple of low, open fronted beechwood shelf units] and have tried suggestions posted last year - charities like BHF etc., around London, but no-one wants to collect, even when I offer to pay the congestion charge - there's either a problem with large items or its in the wrong post code [E14]. I don't want to go through the potential hastle and waste of time trying to sell, so the last resort is to ask the council to take the stuff away. So - any bright[er] ideas out there? Anyone want the items?
Wednesday 19 May 2004 2.20pm
St Christophers Hospice Sydenham, collect and sell furniture in their shop., or Salvation Army...just thought th e heart foundation have a shop in Old Kent Road.

jan
Wednesday 19 May 2004 2.44pm
thanks, will give them a try. BHF in OKR were sniffy about venturing as far as E14!
Wednesday 19 May 2004 2.51pm
Apart from that Jane is there no second hand shops nearby?

jan
Wednesday 19 May 2004 3.12pm
there are almost NO shops nearby! I would rather these things went to a charity than a second hand shop. I'm not seeking to make any money on them but also admit I want the efficient option of not having to spend a lot of time trying to dispose of them.
Wednesday 19 May 2004 4.01pm
Try sticking them outside your front door & calling the council.
Wednesday 19 May 2004 4.37pm
yup - that will be the 'fallback' position...
Wednesday 19 May 2004 10.14pm
Some time ago I donated several things to the Medical Foundation for the Victims of Torture - not sure of their number. The people who would be the end-users of the items came and collected them themselves, which I thought was very good, and they wrote a thank-you letter.

Another idea is to advertise free in LOOT and say 'buyer to collect" giving them a date. You could ask for a donation to a charity if you didnt want to make it free.
Wednesday 19 May 2004 10.16pm
Or charge them and then just donate the cash to charity....
Wednesday 19 May 2004 10.24pm
I can use some shelf units... send me an email? ;-)

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: