Mac Help

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 20 May 2004 11.52am
Hi all,

Sometimes I can be far too accepting and have somehow lumbered myself with the task of creating a CD with a load of files on it.

The Files are on floppy disks.

Simple huh, well it would be if only someone had mentioned they are all for a MAC and I have a PC.

Where can I get this done?

Also, the Files are only word type documents, can they be converted so they can be read On my PC.

The Files are a set of training notes for a confidential charity, so it really needs to be somewhere I can take the disk to, rather than email them, and have them published without our knowledge.

Thanks all.

Bill

Thursday 20 May 2004 12.02pm
The files themselves will be perfectly readable in Microsoft Word on a PC - you just need someone with a Mac (it's Mac not MAC, BTW) to transfer them onto a CD or PC-formatted floppy for you.

Bear in mind that Macs haven't come with floppy drives as standard for about 3 or 4 years now, so you need to find someone with an older machine or an external floppy drive.

(I have an external floppy disk drive for my Powerbook, but I use it so rarely that I am not even sure where it is at the moment)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 20 May 2004 12.08pm
You will need to download/buy some software to enable Windows to recognise old Mac floppies. The best known are MacDrive and MacOpener.

Unless the files are in a really obscure format you shouldn't have any trouble opening them.
Thursday 20 May 2004 12.16pm
Sorry, I meant to mention those PC utilities.

Try http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/ to download a 5-day trial of MacDrive - as far as I can see the demo doesn't seem to have limited functionality so it should do what you need.

Details of MacOpener are here: http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 20 May 2004 6.50pm
Thank you both very much, I really thought that I was going to have a nightmare, but thanks to your knowledge, it was very simple.

As always the day has been saved by James and his following.........Hurrah

and I now know that its a Mac, and not a MAC.

Bill.

Guess I should go and organise some training now.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: