Demonstration against torture this Saturday

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 20 May 2004 9.22pm
For any SE1'ers wishing to register their disgust at what is being done in our name in Iraq there is a demonstration on Saturday assembling 11am at Embankment to march to Trafalgar square.

to be silent is to consent

further details at

Friday 21 May 2004 10.20am
not sure I agree with that. There are lots of reasons why I may not be able to attend a march the other side of the river, the vast majority of which don't mean that I agree with what's going on.

I do care about what's going on - and I think it's wrong, but I won't be at the march.
Friday 21 May 2004 10.41am
ditto Jon.

Post edited (21 May 04 10:42)
Friday 21 May 2004 12.19pm
Nick -
Sorry to be so abrupt. "To be silent is to consent" ???

BOLLOX !!!!!!

Did you go on a march to protest at what those fckers did [and still are doing] to our troops ??

Did you fk.

It's about time you set your own fkg ideals straight and asked the question about whose side you're on in the first place ??? I'm against the whole stinking invasion - so don't start with the bleeding heart liberal sh#t - and I wholeheartedly protested when BlunderBlair sent troops to back that Yank Cowboy.

But they're out there. Doing a their job in a bl00dy awful climate of mistrust and hatred.

You can shove your march and pathetic "arent our soldiers naughty"
Friday 21 May 2004 1.44pm
WOW!! And no one even mentioned cycling!!

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 21 May 2004 2.31pm
Yeah, I was against the whole thing and went on both the big marches. However, by the end of the last one I started to feel distinctly uncomfortable about who I appeared to be allying myself with by marching. I'm no centralist but it seems to me that the left are as bad as the right.

I've read the page Nick directs us to and although I can see why you'd feel the need to argue for pulling out of Iraq I can't help thinking it's a naive and simplistic view to take. I wish our troops weren't there but they are. You can't just go in, kick the crap out of the place and leave. What do you think would happen then? All back to normal? An improvement?

Protesters would be better served pressuring our governments to do things right out there, for everybody. THere's more than enough scope for critcism and improvement, we all know that. If we pull out, what happens next? The Stop The War page strikes me as being a perfect example of reactionary thinking, something that both the left and right are obviously more than capable of.

This is way more complex than they'd have us believe.
Friday 21 May 2004 4.02pm
To echo biro...

what do you think would happen if we pulled our troops out now?

Would all Iraqi's live happily together, sharing power equally?
Friday 21 May 2004 4.32pm

The way to show Blair that we haven't forgotten that he took us to war on his own whim is to vote for someone else at the next election (although God knows whom).

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 21 May 2004 7.43pm
sorry - which 'fckers' do you mean exactly goose? the ones whose country has been invaded by an army with no plan beyond securing the oil ministry? Do you watch the news at all? What exactly do you mean by naughty? Perhaps beating people to death in custody?
Saturday 22 May 2004 9.53am
The only difference between the goings-on in Iraq and every other conflict is the easy use of digital cameras. The stupidity of the americans to take pictures identifying themselves is beyond belief. I'm sure all sides in Northern Ireland carried out acts just as barbaric. There are numerous countries carrying out similiar practises. They're just not daft enough to transmit their antics over the internet and make CD copies without wearing a mask.
If the Iraqis had taken matters in hand in the first place they could have assassinated Saddam years ago. It's amazing how they can now find thousands of fighters and bombers to oppose the coalition but couldn't find anyone to bump off Saddam.

Although I found the pictures from the jail beyond belief, I was reminded of a quote --:
"We are all capable of anything, but most of us are lucky enough never to find this out"
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: