London 2012 - anyone interested?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Thursday 20 May 2004 8.10am
I am part of a design team working on stuff for the bid. The recent Olympic commitee report suggested that there is a degree of apathy amongst Londoners- I am slightly biased, but find it hard to believe. Any thoughts?
rm
Thursday 20 May 2004 9.51am
I think it would be amazing for London and Britain as a whole.

The regeneration and benefits it would bring far outweigh the negative factors.
dee
Thursday 20 May 2004 10.12am
Whilst the games could be good for London my main objection is the cost to Londoners via our council tax being increased. As RM points out i will benefit all of Britain and i believe it should not just be Londoners that foot the bill. Much of the facilities in the East of London will be far easily accessed by people in Essex than South London and yet they will not be contributing.

On the regeneration front I hope that if London gets the games it is local people that get the benefit and the Qlympic village for example is not sold off to the highest bidder to raise money for any losses that may be incurred.

Thursday 20 May 2004 10.19am
I suspect, Dee & rm, that people living in remoter parts of rural Norfolk/Cumbria/Lancashire/Wales may disagree as to the benefits they are likely to get from the proposed games. People in those parts of Britain think that the country is London-centric at the best of times, amking them pay for Games that are played in London would only increase this view.

I suppose I'm pretty apathetic about the games. I should be very surprised if I were to go to see any of the activities.
dee
Thursday 20 May 2004 10.27am
i'd be surprised if most of us will get the opportunity to see the events. I feel that for all the benefits it will give most Londoners we are probably in the same position as someone in a remote community.

i guess i am a cynic rather than apathetic would rather see the money being used for schools hospitals etc

Thursday 20 May 2004 10.34am
Dee as you accept that the games will be good for London, you will accept that they need to be paid for. How exactly do you propose that this should happen?
dee
Thursday 20 May 2004 10.40am
sponsorship as they did in LA and if improvements to infrastructure such as transport links then central Government should also chip in - and i said they could be good for London not will be good!

Jon
Thursday 20 May 2004 10.40am
if the games come to London, then I might try and see something live, if I can get a ticket. I'd have prefered to see it held in the Midlands instead though
Thursday 20 May 2004 10.47am
But Dee, you say 'Central Government' as though the money comes from somewhere. Where do you think that money comes from? Taxes of course!

There's no such thing as free money!
dee
Thursday 20 May 2004 11.11am
yes but it comes from everyone who pays taxes not just Londoners which was my original objection
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: