A tad pricey?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 28 December 2015 2.30am
On Christmas Day, at around 3.00 p.m. I was in a pub in Rotherhithe with the guy that I've been seeing for a few months, plus my brother, and sister-in-law.
My Danny had just bought a drink when a woman I know came in and asked me if I'd seen her husband, as they were going to his sister's home for Christmas dinner, and she was the designated driver.
I told her that he'd told me that, and that he'd gone into the beer garden for a cigarette and would be back in a minute.
My Danny asked her if she'd like a drink while she waited, she said, "Can I just have a lemonade, with ice, please."
Danny caught the guv'nor's eye and asked for the lemonade, which was supplied, in a small glass.
"How much is that?" said Danny.
"3.50!!" the guv'nor said.
I expected Dan to query that, but he just put a fiver over the counter, took the 1.50 change, and said, "Forget it, I'm not going to start a row in a pub at Christmas."
Am I living in the past, or was that a little over the top?
Monday 28 December 2015 9.33pm
It's well known that mixers, tonic, bitter lemon, o.j., have a big mark-up, but 3.50 isn't just pushing the envelope, it is outrageously taking the p**s.
I was in a pub up north last summer, somewhere between Doncaster and Barnsley, when a kid in the company asked me to get him a lemonade, it was a can for .85p.
Again this summer, I was on a Thames pleasure boat, from Tower Pier to Greenwich with one of my sons, and his two children.
The kids asked for a coke and and a lemonade, they were 1.20 each.
Tuesday 29 December 2015 12.06pm
Was the lemonade from the pump Debra? It used to be taking the piss when asking for a coke and spirit and they charged almost as much as the alcohol for water and syrup... Mind you Christmas Day means higher staff costs.
Wednesday 30 December 2015 1.11pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Was the lemonade from the pump Debra? It used to be taking the piss when asking for a coke and spirit and they charged almost as much as the alcohol for water and syrup... Mind you Christmas Day means higher staff costs.

I didn't see anyone use the "mixer gun" Jan, so I assume that it was from a bottle, which I'd guess would be more than a gun splash.
There were no additional staff on, just the guv'nor and his wife working the bar.
Danny knows a barman who works in this particular pub, and says that he'll have a discrete word with him on prices.
If 3.50 is the going rate in that pub, then we'll swerve buying lemonade in there in future, or do the same as I did some 9 or more years back when I was charged 11.60 for a double vodka and tonic in The Mayflower, when the norm in other Rotherhithe pubs was around 8.40, I voted with my feet.
Wednesday 30 December 2015 2.13pm
That is outrageous!!! Max should be 2.00 for a pint of soft drink, it only costs 30p to make from the gun and as you know 1.00 odd a bottle from the supermarket which is approx. 3 pints!!
Wednesday 13 January 2016 11.14am
To quote Mr. Bill Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well.
Danny went in the pub last night and had a discreet word with the lady of the house.
She apologised, gave him 2.00 back, saying that it should have been 1.50, and cited the fact that they were ultra busy as it was Christmas Day, and that must have been the reason for the error.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: