Cider making in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 79
Wednesday 26 May 2004 12.25pm
In other Realms; where-e'er the British spread
Triumphant Banners, or their Fame has reach'd
Diffusive, to the utmost Bounds of this
Wide Universe, Silurian Cyder borne
Shall please all Tasts, and triumph o'er the Vine.

- from Cyder, an epic poem in two volumes by John Philips 1676-1709

Time for a new thread? Steve Ellison, one of the farmers I spoke to has e-mailed me: apples available in November, 50 for half a ton. I shall try and find out what varieties are on offer. There are one or two more farms for me to call in the South-East, but I'm off to Stanley Towers on the weekend. I shall call farms in the West from there and see if I can get hold of some cider apples.

Post edited (26 May 04 17:54)

Advertisement

Ivanhoe returns Wednesday 26 May 2004 12.43pm
Good man Tharg. And I'll give Barry the cider man from the market a call and get some more details about the press and mill he says is going for sale round his way.

[hope you have a nice weekend. don't be too hard on the batman at stanley towers ;0) ]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Jan Lane Wednesday 26 May 2004 12.53pm
Tharg do they have to be special cider apples?

jan
Ivanhoe returns Wednesday 26 May 2004 1.25pm
Jan's volunteering her apple-catchers!!

Jan Lane Wednesday 26 May 2004 1.28pm
my friend has some land in kent-stacks of trees ....completely organic....i was just wondering...

jan
Thermales Caninus Wednesday 26 May 2004 2.34pm
My sister and I once made home-made using fruit apples. Tasted pretty terrible but when your 11 that's of secondary importance.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Ivanhoe returns Wednesday 26 May 2004 2.46pm
I was only joking, Jan. (I'll try anything to get you into cidermaking).

(From the very little I know after snatching the odd 5 mins here and there to read my fool's guide to cidermaking) you can use any apples at a pinch, but most eating types don't have the requisite bitterness to make interesting cider - apparently (which, I'm guessing, is what Thermales is referring to above).

Having said that, there's a lovely Thatchers' cider that's made from Cox's apples, and apparently you can always add some crab apples into the mix if you have predominantly eating/dessert varieties (or so my book tells me).

There are traditional cider apples, but apart from a handful of varieties (Kingston Black, Stoke Red, Dabinett are ones I can remember off hand) people usually make cider with a mix of types, even when they only use "cider" apples.

But (here's the pressgang coming), the only real way to learn is to COME AND JOIN US and make some cider. Thermales, do you realise that (if we could twist your arm into joining us) you could hold the dubious honour of being the only one to have actually made cider before? That would give us some (much needed) ability to talk the talk.

Wednesday 26 May 2004 3.12pm
I like the sound of organic apples Jan, could you find out more for us?
Jan Lane Wednesday 26 May 2004 3.40pm
I'll try to find some photos, there used to be a small vine yard that is now over run...my friends brother in law was the one who made the cider ( with the dreaded fruit fly tale, as described earlier) There must be over a hundred trees. bramley,cox,gala,and ones we've forgotten.

theres a north orchard,and two small orchards...its in willow lane paddock wood, we all eat straight from the trees...no need to wash....the apples i mean...not us!

jan
Wednesday 26 May 2004 5.11pm
Got a message from: http://www.cidermuseum.co.uk/

Approximately one tonne of apples yields 148 gallons of juice.
Come along to our Cidermaking Festival on 16th and 17th October and talk to a Master Cidermaker who will be demonstrating the traditional way of making cider.
Groups of 15 or more = a 50p discount on admission prices.
Kind regards

Margaret Thompson
Museum Director

Post edited (27 May 04 01:19)
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 79

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions