Opinions?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 3 March 2016 4.33pm
I have a friend named Zoe, but my significant other insists on putting an umlaut over the e at the end, thus, ZoŽ, whenever he types her name.
She's never picked him up on it, but I go bananas at him, saying "It's HER name, she ends it in just plain e, so should you."
He maintains that she can write her name any way she wants, but in his mind the correct way is ZoŽ, so that's what he'll use.
Aside from strangling him, does anyone have an opinion on this?
Please don't say kick him into touch, aside from this bone of contention he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Thursday 3 March 2016 10.32pm
Hmm, my default position is with the umlaut, but if your friend's name is Zoe (without the umlaut) then I'd respect that. My dad and his wife have consistently misspelt my wife's name for about 14 years now and we've never said anything, but I know it annoys my wife and also me.
Thursday 3 March 2016 10.51pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Hmm, my default position is with the umlaut, but if your friend's name is Zoe (without the umlaut) then I'd respect that. My dad and his wife have consistently misspelt my wife's name for about 14 years now and we've never said anything, but I know it annoys my wife and also me.

I'm with you on this Gavin, if Zoe says it's Zoe, then that's it, no umlaut.
However, in my considered opinion ZoŽ has an umlaut if spelt correctly.
I'd only type Zoe if I had my arm twisted, for to me Zoe minus the umlaut is vaguely, VERY vaguely, akin to putting should of instead of should have.
n.b. I DID stress vaguely.
If my name was FranÁois, but English people wrote Francois, I'd shrug my shoulders, (in a Gallic fashion), and put it down to the ignorance of the English, I wouldn't make a federal case out of it.
Friday 4 March 2016 1.32pm
This site is a wealth of information ...I now know what this two funny dots are over a letter....of course I should have known..it's an umlaut! Lol..Debs your friend should have her name spelt the way it was spelt on her birth certificate, your right your other half is wrong.x
Friday 4 March 2016 3.08pm
Jan the old one wrote:
This site is a wealth of information ...I now know what this two funny dots are over a letter....of course I should have known..it's an umlaut! Lol..Debs your friend should have her name spelt the way it was spelt on her birth certificate, your right your other half is wrong.x

An umlaut can also be called a trema, or a diaeresis I believe.
Could be wrong, but as you know Jan, black cab drivers are rarely wrong!
The purpose of the umlaut is to stretch the word gently into two syllables, so ZoŽ will rhyme with Bowie, with bow said as in bow and arrow, not bow from the waist.
Zoe without the umlaut would rhyme with Joe, so although I agree that the lady in question is entitled to have her name spelt as SHE wishes, I'd take a slight shade of odds that she pronounces her name as Zo-ee.
This puts Debrajoan's guy back in the right, at least phonetically, of course, if he uses his loaf, he'll realise that he's never going to win, disagreeing with one woman is not a good idea, disagreeing with two can be fatal.
Sunday 6 March 2016 2.51pm
Oh Tom! Now you have explained about an Umlaut in a polite idiot proof manner. then you go and confuse me even more mentioning something that sounds like Trauma and Derriere (possibly spelt that wrong!) lol

Are you sure you weren't the Cabbie who won \mastermind! I will now be checking with you if I ever see a word I cant understand..:-)
Sunday 6 March 2016 8.42pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Oh Tom! Now you have explained about an Umlaut in a polite idiot proof manner. then you go and confuse me even more mentioning something that sounds like Trauma and Derriere (possibly spelt that wrong!) lol
Are you sure you weren't the Cabbie who won \mastermind! I will now be checking with you if I ever see a word I cant understand..:-)

Check away Jan, I'll do my best, and remember, I don't need an encyclopedia or Wikipedia, my wife knows EVERYTHING, but if you ask her about me, she'll say, "He is as intelligent as all get out, but he's never had a lick of common sense."
The black cab driver who won Mastermind, was Fred Housego.
He lived in Stanmore, Middx., and often 'worked' the airport, where he was ragged silly in the drivers restaurant after he won Mastermind.
Guys would shout at him, "Fred, what's the capital of North Korea?"
When he'd reply "Pyongyang", they'd say, "Correct, but no points, because no one likes a smart arse!"
Sunday 6 March 2016 9.14pm
Nothing like a good woman Tom to ensure husbands dont get too big for their boots!
Thats interesting about Mr Housego. is he still working Tom?
Sunday 6 March 2016 11.16pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Nothing like a good woman Tom to ensure husbands dont get too big for their boots!
Thats interesting about Mr Housego. is he still working Tom?

I hadn't seen him for years when I saw the writing on the wall, and surrendered my "badge and bills" in 2012, and for once in her life 'the enemy' didn't know the answer either.
However, according to Wiki he was still driving a taxi in 2007, and living in Pevensey, East Sussex.
He suffered from diabetes, and gained a lot of weight, but through diet and exercise he shed six stones in six months.
Weight gain is very easy when doing a sedentary job like taxi driving.
I managed to swerve that by avoiding fast food at any time, NEVER eating ANYTHING fried*, and parking on London Zoo taxi rank every day, and walking a complete circuit of Regents Park outer circle.

* Save for fried green tomatoes when on holiday in the former Confederate States of America.
Wednesday 9 March 2016 12.41pm
How do you ever type it though?
Is it the same for Chloe?
My surname is originally Spanish and in Spain it always has an accent on the "a" but my family moved to France (in the 1800s) and in French there is no accent on A's so the accent in my surname was dropped forever. So maybe, it could be that particular Zoe was bone in another country where there is no umlaut on her name (also called a "dieresis")...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: