Evening Standard Flat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 30 May 2004 9.02am
Have you been collecting the tokens for the Evening Standard flat at the Elephant and Castle? I have enough cut-out token for 2 entries and as I'm convinced the winner is always chosen from a postal entry, here are enough passwords for you to enter online.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/competitions/articles/10746806

London designer flat worth 270,000, and this time the winner will be picked live on Capital FM on 11th June. 8 tokens/passwords required.
Passwords
Mon..... 17th May ----> DESIGNER
Tue...... 18th May ----> HOME
Wed......19th May ----> STYLISH
Thu.......20th May ----> URBAN
Fri.........21st May ----> INNOVATIVE

Mon......24th May ----> BALCONY
Tue.......25th May ----> CHROME
Wed......26th May ----> GLASS
Thu.......27th May ----> STEEL
Fri.........28th May ----> ELECTRIC
Sunday 30 May 2004 10.07am
But apart from the obvious monetary value, who would want to win that flat?

From the developer's pictures plastered all over the Standard with the uber-yuppie couple, the space they are occupying appears poorly proportioned, the kitchen has no apparent source of natural light and there is an obvious design botch where a plasterboard box has been required to cover-up services.

Are most property buyers' standards really so low that that this counts as a "designer" flat?
Tuesday 1 June 2004 7.53am
Thanks Phoney - very kind of you to provide us with the passwords. If I win, you're on the housewarming party guest list! :)
Tuesday 1 June 2004 10.28am
I happen to live very close to the site of this development. I wouldn't be in a hurry to move in - so far all they have done is level the old printing works that used to stand there (between Steedman St and Amelia St, SE17 if you're interested). The flats on the East side will get traffic noise from Walworth Road, and potentially construction noise if Southwark Council ever get around to redeveloping the Heygate Estate. The flats on the west side will instead get train noise form the Thameslink line, and also some delightful fumes from the boiler house chimney stack in the next estate.

So if you win it, be sure to rent it out/sell it rather than live there yourself :-)
Tuesday 1 June 2004 12.54pm
Has no one thought about the real question:

Does the kitchen have enough room to store all the lovely Waitrose goodies, as well as Jemima's bottle warmer?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 1 June 2004 12.59pm

I would rather have one of the Pullens flats next door (used to live there) than this.
Wednesday 2 June 2004 8.50am
It's free for God sake!! Crap or not I'd take it - who wants to live there? Not me - but it would provide a little spending money.

Something for nothing and still complaints.
Wednesday 2 June 2004 10.28am
Come on Ruck, moaning is one of the only pleasures left to us.

In this instance, what does "designer" mean? Is it a flat that a designer might like? Is it designed by a designer? Does it come with a label on the front?

And another thing, the name suggests that it's twinned with South Central LA; can this be true? Hmmmm Yuppies With Attitude - straight outa Compton Abdale........

"I knew I was cured"
Wednesday 2 June 2004 12.12pm
Not much point in any of the rest of us putting our entries in now that Phoney-wins-every-competition has entered, but thanks Phoney!
Wednesday 2 June 2004 3.49pm
Completely agree with that - it is as designer as Cockfighter (what is that all about..???). Sure they came top of the class at college but really... Cockfighter...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: